• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse SSI/Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

james220

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hi,
I thought I would ask this question here first...
My wife of 35 years recently passed away and I need to know if I am entitled to her SSI and disability?
I have never been through anything like this and was told I should find out about this and that is what I am trying to do. Also at the time of her death, no one offered this information, so again, I'm just trying to find out.
Thank you for your answers,
James

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi,
My wife of 35 years recently passed away and I need to know if I am entitled to her SSI and disability?
I have never been through anything like this and was told I should find out about this and that is what I am trying to do. Also at the time of her death, no one offered this information, so again, I'm just trying to find out.
James
I'm sorry for your loss...

What did the folks at the Social Security office have to say when you asked them about this?

james220

I haven't been to the ss office yet but am trying to get an appointment...
difficult during the holidays - but asap!
That's why I thought, in the meantime, I would ask here first to get some kind of idea about this.
And maybe a quicker answer as well lol!

quincy

Hi,
James
You can read the information provided by the SSA at the following link, prior to contacting their office tomorrow: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/ifyou.html

Here for the benefit of others is a link to your other thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/tax-law-12/income-tax-problem-caused-employer-630014.html

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your wife died in 2013 according to your other post. It is now 2016.
In your other post, you stated that at the time of her death you'd been married for 32 years. You cannot add the 3 years since her death to the total. Not that it makes a difference. We get your point: you were married for a long time, much longer than 1 year.

In your other post you stated that you were 61. So, it is safe to assume that you were 50-something when your wife died. You have a job, per your other post, the same job that you had when your wife died - is it safe to assume that you yourself are not considered to be disabled?

Thanks for the link quincy.

Kit Cat

It depends if your wife worked and paid enough social security taxes.

If she did, you can receive survivor's benefits instead of your own social security retirement, or while waiting for your own social security.

Every situation is different but for some people....

You will make the most money if you start taking survivors benefits now, and then wait to collect your own retirement benefits at age 70.

For the average person, this means check would be higher by about $2,000 every year for the rest of your life (so if you live to 100 that's $60,000 extra). That's just average, every situation is different.

I know someone who did it this way, and is now collecting about $4,000/year extra.

The person you meet with at social security may or may not explain this to you, and may or may not know all the policies. You can ask them if they can provide you with the numbers: how much survivors benefits would be now, how much your retirement benefits would be now, and how much they would be if you wait til full retirement age and if you wait til age 70.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">