• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MurphysLaw1974

I was denied SS Disability the other day. :confused: I have been suffering with BiPolar since I was a teenager. My depression has reached an all time high and I have finally went through completely by asking SS for help. They told me if I got worse to come back. This runs through my family bad. Should I file the appeal now and then get an attorney or should i find an attorney and let him/her file the appeal? :( What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cincinnati, Ohio.

Onderzoek

I was denied SS Disability the other day. :confused: I have been suffering with BiPolar since I was a teenager. My depression has reached an all time high and I have finally went through completely by asking SS for help. They told me if I got worse to come back. This runs through my family bad. Should I file the appeal now and then get an attorney or should i find an attorney and let him/her file the appeal? :( What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cincinnati, Ohio.
Your decision about whether you file an appeal or hire someone to do it for you. There is no right answer to that question. A rep doesn't know you better than you know yourself but a rep may understand how to present your case to SSA better than you would. Statistically, claimants with representatives have higher approvals than those without. But it is not a guarantee.

One thing is for sure, you do need medical evidence to substantiate your statements and seeking medical care on an ongoing basis may actually help you in your struggle.

Also, there are time limits to filing appeals so you should make it a priority.

commentator

Speak to one of the ninty eleven attorneys who are constantly bombarding the airwaves begging to help represent you on your social security case. I suspect one of the reasons you have been denied is that it is notoriously hard to demonstrate mental problems, and they'll know a great deal more than you about how to marshal your evidence appropriately and present it. Also will tell you if you need more evidence and how you might get it. Don't waste the next chance to appeal before you get the attorney.

flowerdot

I was denied SS Disability the other day. ... They told me if I got worse to come back. ...Should I file the appeal now and then get an attorney or should i find an attorney and let him/her file the appeal? :( What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cincinnati, Ohio.
I'm not a lawyer; I get SSDI -

Disability benefits are whether you are too disabled TO WORK. Not about how severe your health problems are. (although they do have some conditions that automatically qualify)

If you were working and earning enough (according to them) when you applied, then you probably didn't demonstrate enough "disability". You didn't mention if you are being treated by a doctor. Since you have a condition that sometimes responds to medication and therapy, you need 1) medical verification of your treatment 2) a doctor who writes good letters indicating how much your condition affects your ability to function 3) work history that shows that even if you are offered a job, you repeatedly cannot continue work (lay-offs, firing, medical leave, hospitalizations, etc).

I do not know anything about appeals. I would, though, recommend that you re-apply after a year or so. It seems from my history and observations, that Soc Sec operates by comparing your history. So, if next year you are the same or worse, can't work or work less than you have, have been hospitalized, or if you get treatment and it doesn't help much, then I would think you have a chance of being approved.

I applied when I was young (i guess that would have been for SSI) and was denied on the basis that my condition could be treated within a year. Over 30 years later, I had continued to suffer and kept trying different jobs. One year, when I lost 3 jobs in a row, I re-applied. My doctor gave my entire history of all the treatments attempted and all my health problems. I was accepted on SSDI. Obviously my problem didn't clear up after that first year. :)

So, don't give up hope. don't panic. Either appeal, or reapply with good documentation. Hang in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">