• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SS disability rules regarding discretionary trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My brother suffers from emotional problems, learning disabilities, unable to manage money and has been manipulated by predators in the past who caused him to declare bankruptcy. He worked in my father's business most of his adult life but has been unable to to hold any other job for any length of time because of his problems. I am now the trustee of several trusts they set up with brother as one of the beneficiaries. The trusts are discretionary as to distributions to him without any provision for health, maintenance, education, and support. He has accumulated enough social security credits to qualify for disability but would he be disqualified from any disability payments because of this discretionary trust. What are the social security rules regarding this?
SSDI is not needs-based. SSI is. :cool:
www.ssa.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">