• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD after the Hearing w/ the ALJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtgsource

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Alright, I had my Hearing with the ALJ on the 2nd of March 2011. I won! Now, my lawyer states that I should take the letter they sent me to the SSI/SSD office closest to me. He seems to think that if I do that then it would "speed up" my processing. I see in the letter that they say it will take up to 60 days to get back to me? And that there will be more questions asked of me by the SSI/SSD Office such as where did I live at the time of application and where I currently live and with whom and for how long. Is this correct? Is that what I should be expecting? And should I take the letter to the SSD/SSI Office? What if I am on vacation in Florida when the letter gets to my home in Michigan? Can I take it to a SSD/SSI Office in Florida or will it transfer my case down here and start the process all over again, or at least delay it more???

I am so confused! Many people say "Oh, the hardest part is over. Now just sit back ans relax" but I cannot because of all the nagging questions. Sometimes it seems like there's more worry now than before!

Beguiled in Michigan

BL

It is always best to talk to the folks at the local SSA Office.

Check to make sure if you are going to be gone an extended period of time SSA would forward any mail to you , or have a friend check your mail .

You'll want to be sure to go in if they request it .

I'm not sure going to the SSA Office before you are notified would help , as there are different stages of the process .

mtgsource

thank you!

Oh, okay! The letter I received states that the ADJ agrees with the fees on agreement with my representative and myself. And we have 15 days each to disagree or write for a copy of the agreement. And it also states what the State's 3rd party representative thought of my disability and whether or not I could do any type of work. It does state that it was ruled in my favor. I called the SSA and they said that it should be before May 1st that they get a hold of me. I was just wondering if anyone has heard whether or not if I did take this letter to the SSA that it would speed up my processing by means of trying to get an immediate interview? Thanks again! :D

Onderzoek

For the SSDI part of your claim, the adjudication (processing for payment) will be done in Baltimore MD in the payment center. Going to your local office will do nothing to speed them up. However, the payment center will need to have verification of any prior worker's comp or public disability benefits that you may have received in the past. If you gave direct deposit information at the time of your initial application and have closed that account, it is possible that the first check could be sent to your closed account. Also, if you have minor children who need to apply, those claims need to be filed by the parent with custody. But there is little to nothing that your local office can do to speed up the payment center. Sometimes, the requests by the local office actually slow down the payment center.

If you are able to take a vacation from Michigan to Florida, it is unlikely that you can show that you are in dire need of critical case processing.

For the SSI part of your claim, there needs to be an update interview and verification of income, resources and living arrangements for all months since the date of application. That interview is generally sent to the office that you filed your hearing request in. Unless you are going to live in Florida, I would suggest cutting your vacation short and heading back to Michigan so the local office can conduct the SSI interview and you can supply the documents they need since I assume those documents would not be readily available to you on vacation. I also don't think the Florida office will be all that interested in doing work that is assigned to and will be credited to another office. If you want the case transferred to Florida, then all the work will be done in Florida. If you want it to stay in Michigan because that is where you live (which makes more sense to me) then go back home.

I don't think showing up in a Florida office will do anything to speed up the processing. It is reasonable to expect your first check 30-60 days after the decision and retroactive benefits 60-90 days later. If the adjudication date passes a specific check cutoff date, the staff can't make the check show up earlier than the following month.

Last edited:

mtgsource

Wow. You sound very knowledgeable, thank you. If you don't mind me asking another question, I would like to. You said for the SSDI Part of my claim? Now if I recall, I was denied SSI becasue of my lack of work history and all, but my SSDI part was what I went in front of the ALJ for. Now, if there is a resource interview for SSI, then is there also an interview for SSDI after the decision from the ALJ by the SSA Office? Or do they just go by the info that they have? Also, I have a 17 year old, 15 year old and a 4 year old daughter. Are they eligibility for any money due to my disability? Just wondering!

Thank you all,
Michigan

Onderzoek

If you don't have a work history, then you would have been denied SSDI. SSI, Supplemental Security Income, is the low income program. You need to know the difference.

If it is SSI, then your income, resources and living arrangements determine the amount of payment both currently and retroactively and into the future. You don't mention a spouse, but if you have one, his/her income also matters. There are no SSI benefits for your children. The income and resources can change each month so SSI can change each month. It can also stop if your income or resources are too high.

Perhaps someone gave you the trip as a present, but traveling from Michigan to Florida does cost some money and it seems unusual that a person who could qualify for SSI would have the money to do so before the claim is paid.

I think you need to clarify your favorable decision with your attorney and your local office.

mtgsource

Oh, I'm sorry! I do now have SSDI, it's just some other reason I was denied SSI, or just not eligable. Does my husbands income matter when it comes to SSDI? Are there SSDI benefits for my children as well? We're a family of 5 and my husband makes $12.00 an hour and about $400.00 a week roughly. We're not very well-off by no means if you know what I mean! I keep trying to get these answers from my laywer, but I think that he does not return my phone calls because we have just won and he's just waiting for his check.

Onderzoek

Oh, I'm sorry! I do now have SSDI, it's just some other reason I was denied SSI, or just not eligable. Does my husbands income matter when it comes to SSDI? Are there SSDI benefits for my children as well? We're a family of 5 and my husband makes $12.00 an hour and about $400.00 a week roughly. We're not very well-off by no means if you know what I mean! I keep trying to get these answers from my laywer, but I think that he does not return my phone calls because we have just won and he's just waiting for his check.
I think you need to talk to someone who knows exactly what you filed for and were approved for rather than have strangers make guesses.

csi7

Social Security Disability Insurance is payable under certain circumstances without sufficient work credits. (SSDI)
Supplemental Security Income is based upon household income and changes as the monthly income changes. (SSI)
If you provided a bank account number to have your disability check direct deposited, it will be deposited into your account when it is released.
Sit down, separate the papers by the program, and then you will know which program your question is about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">