• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD,Medicare,Medicaid Law and an Inheritence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mochannb52

What is the name of your state? New York
My husband is on Social Security Disability, Medicare and Medicaid. We lives in NY. I am the Representative Payee for his SSD benefits and I am on Medicaid as well. His father died recently and left him a small inheritence of about $60,000, which he should be receiving in the next few weeks. Is there some trust or special bank account or something that can be setup that will allow him to keep and have immediate access to this inheritence and still allow him to keep all his benefits?What is the name of your state?

BL

I doubt it .

Even if He were to purchase a home , Medicaid ( NYS) would make him sign papers to collect what they paid out from the sale when sold . He would be allowed to own a vehicle up to 2500 , I believe , maybe a burial fund ( not sure - but they want to know about it ) .

Having said that the requirements are to notify Temporary Assistances with in 10 days of any changes in circumstances , once they occur , or on any review document of expected changes in the near future .

What you're suggesting just isn't going to happen .

A consult with an Attorney dealing with Temporary assistances ( welfare ) would be wise .

Also search for any agencies or groups on the net that may help .

There are groups and agencies that know Laws on how elderly folks , keep some assets , when the need nursing home care , Etc.

Medicaid is State run however , and the State does count assets and income for eligibility .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">