• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD - no back payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DoctorBlind

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have Crohn;s Disease and was approved pretty quick for Disability, should have applied a long time ago. I first started getting sick in 07. I started receiving payments at the beginning of January. To my understanding from the time you file your application, is the time that you are considered "disabled" or, in my case, they can go back 2 years from that date of filing, if you were disabled then. My point is, I received a letter stating that I would start receiving payments in January, BUT I would not be receiving the prorated monies due!?

The monthly payment helps to live, but what about all my back medical bills and not to mention the $10,000 in property taxes that I owe. I'll never catch up. I feel like I'm right back in the same situation as I was before... STRUGGLING. I'm always incurring medical bills and will always have property taxes.

Is this a new law now - not sending people their backpayments?:confused:
If not, what do I need to tell them for me to receive that check?

Thank you!

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have Crohn;s Disease and was approved pretty quick for Disability, should have applied a long time ago. I first started getting sick in 07. I started receiving payments at the beginning of January. To my understanding from the time you file your application, is the time that you are considered "disabled" or, in my case, they can go back 2 years from that date of filing, if you were disabled then. My point is, I received a letter stating that I would start receiving payments in January, BUT I would not be receiving the prorated monies due!?

The monthly payment helps to live, but what about all my back medical bills and not to mention the $10,000 in property taxes that I owe. I'll never catch up. I feel like I'm right back in the same situation as I was before... STRUGGLING. I'm always incurring medical bills and will always have property taxes.

Is this a new law now - not sending people their backpayments?:confused:
If not, what do I need to tell them for me to receive that check?

Thank you!
SSDI benefits can be paid up to 12 months before application (not 24) as long as the five month waiting period after onset has been met. That has not changed. Your notice should tell you what date of onset is being used. Are you sure this is not an SSI (Supplemental Security Income) claim? SSI has no retroactivity before application. Call SSA. They have access to more information than you are providing us.

It is too bad for you that you didn't file 5 years ago.

BL

You need to find out if your payments are SSDI ( from work history ) , or SSI - supplimental.

If SSDI , you can always request a recondideration in the allowed timeframe .That may have been included in your notice .

Unfortunatly , you can't count on disability benifit payments to bail you out of the hole.

BTW ,if they are SSI benifits ,you should automatically received State medical coverage .

If SSDI ,you have to wait 2 years for Medicare.

Last edited:

DoctorBlind

SSDI benefits can be paid up to 12 months before application (not 24) as long as the five month waiting period after onset has been met. That has not changed. Your notice should tell you what date of onset is being used. Are you sure this is not an SSI (Supplemental Security Income) claim? SSI has no retroactivity before application. Call SSA. They have access to more information than you are providing us.

It is too bad for you that you didn't file 5 years ago.
Yes, they said they would only go back to 2010 and I did all the paperwork myself, I'm positive it's disability. It's the disability that you pay into. I remember that was something they said they needed to check prior to approval. Since I worked 10 years fulltime, I most def qualified .
What do you mean by the 5 month waiting period after onset has been met?? what do you mean by onset?

csi7

The date of your original application, a twelve month back date is usually established as the official onset date.
For social security disability benefits, the first six months are not payable in benefits. That means you would get six months of back pay if you were beginning benefits a year ago.
It is important to look at the dates on the documents provided to you to see what the date is. Sometimes, a clerical error is made on the year mark, so you can address that issue with the local office, in person.
Or the error can be made on the month mark, same thing, take it to local office in person to get straightened out quickly.

DoctorBlind

The date of your original application, a twelve month back date is usually established as the official onset date.
For social security disability benefits, the first six months are not payable in benefits. That means you would get six months of back pay if you were beginning benefits a year ago.
It is important to look at the dates on the documents provided to you to see what the date is. Sometimes, a clerical error is made on the year mark, so you can address that issue with the local office, in person.
Or the error can be made on the month mark, same thing, take it to local office in person to get straightened out quickly.
Thank you! I will check those dates to be sure that everything is accurate. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">