• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD and SSI Rep Payee Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crazieanimefan1

Alabama
My boyfriend and I are both mentally and physically ill. He has epilepsy and depression, I have severe major depression and a bone disorder. Anyway, here's my situation. Our payee is the mental health center. We're both independant consumers, by the way, very smart and live on our own. After our bills are paid, we're only given $70 a week, consistant of two checks, $40 for grocery, $30 for personal spending. Not only this, the lady who is responsible purposely waits to give us extra money until the last minute. For example, we along with the other consumers, requested our Christmas money for the first week of December, instead getting it today. The lady also forgets to write checks for some other consumers every week. When confronted on it, they act like it's no big deal. We don't get a monthly pay report to show how much is left in our accounts, so we dunno where our money is going after the bills, even then, no reciepts for them either. My father believes somewhere along the line they're screwing us. We're also to get training how to be our own payee, but no one has put the effort for that. There was a form we were supposed to fill out concerning that (if we wanted to be our own payee or them continue to be) and it mysteriously disappeared before the deadline to sign it. I'm at a total loss. What should I do? This case manager too tried to schedule me a mammogram (i'm not of age...hardly there) and has been telling doctors and others "Oh she can afford it" too. Forgot to add that.

Last edited:

Kit Cat

Do you have someone else you trust who would be willing to be your payee? Maybe your father?

That would be the simplest thing.

Just make an appointment with your local social security office and go there with the person you want to be your payee.

Tell them you want to switch payees. You don't really need a reason, but if they ask, you can tell them your payee is hiding information from you.

There may also be a way to file a complaint about this payee, you can ask while you are there.

___

If you want to be your own payee...

You don't need any special training.

You just need a letter from a doctor stating that you are capable of handling your own funds.

You don't need to wait for your current payee to help you with this. If it is what you want, you can make an appointment at Social Security yourself.

BUT...

it is a little risky to do this. Social security may question if this means your mental health has improved and you are no longer disabled. If you decide to be your own payee, you would want to be certain that the letter you send and all of your recent medical records very clearly state that you still have a severe, disabling condition.

Last edited:

Kit Cat

p.s.

after writing that last post, I realized I should add...

If you are on SSI, they may ask you questions about your living situation, which can effect your check. This has nothing to do with changing payees, it's something that can happen anyway, I just thought I would mention it...

Are your boyfriend and you on SSI or SSDI? Do you live together?

Last edited:

crazieanimefan1

I am on SSD. He is on SSI. And we do live together, but can't marry due to the fact it'll cut into our income.

My father unfortunately doesn't live in my state. I'm currently looking at other family if possible.

Kit Cat

Sounds like a good plan.

Social security has a rule called "holding out as married." it is not used very often.

In rare cases, they will look at two people who are living together and ask questions or ask both people to sign something to determine if they are behaving like a married couple. If the two people are completely separate financially, do not sign any legal documents together, and do not represent themselves like a married couple in the community, it should not be a problem. If they decide that the two people are "holding out as married", then ssa may consider them married and it can cause a reduction in SSI.

Also, if you or anyone else is paying for any of his food, rent or utilities, that would cause a reduction.

p.s. I don't think your father needs to live in your state to be your payee. But I think he might have to visit to go to the local office and sign up as payee. I'm not sure if that can be done by mail.

Last edited:

Kit Cat

here's a good article on switching payees:

http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/how-to/change-the-social-security-disability-payee

crazieanimefan1

*chuckles* If anything, I'm more watching out for him due to his seizures. It's tough when you're disabled too, but I've made it this long.

But as for the rent, I pay my half and he pays his. We split the bills in half too. Sort of like roommates more. I'm more...I guess you say, alert, of the two of us. He is to a point, but epilepsy is definately taking it's toll on his mind.

Kit Cat

that is good if you are both paying your share of rent.

According to the article above, I was wrong when I said you don't need a reason to switch rep payees. Sounds like you do need a reason, but I think you have a very valid one - they are withholding your financial info from you. You may be able to just tell ssa your reason, but if they don't easily make the switch for you, you might try getting some written proof of a problem. For example.... sending your rep payee a certified letter requesting in writing a copy of all your financial transactions for the past year. If your payee won't release this info to you, you can show SSA a copy of your letter. Or you can try filing a complaint against the payee. Or you could show receipts showing that they are delaying checks or not supplying your grocery money when you ask for it, if this is causing you to go without food.

Like I said, it may be good enough just to explain the problem, this are just a few ideas in case they ask for any more proof.

Last edited:

Kit Cat

P.S.

If your boyfriend is on SSI, he is probably eligible for food stamps if his food is purchased, stored and prepared separately from yours. Food stamps has very specific regulations around how they determine a household. If he shares his food he may not qualify.

crazieanimefan1

He is on food stamps already. So am I. However, the payee is also a government run facility...namely a mental health center. Do I follow the same advice due to that as well?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">