• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD and then turning 62

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
What happens when a person on SSD turns 62? Does he or she then switch to SS?

Swgfan

When you reach full retirement age, nothing will change, except for Social Security purposes, your benefits will be called retirement benefits instead of disability benefits.

got it directly from the SS website

applecruncher

Yes, you can begin collecting SS at 62 but it will be less. I also should have clarified that I was referring to FULL retirement age - which is usually age 65/66/67, etc. depending on date of birth. Still though, I think you should call SSA and talk to a rep so that you clearly understand what, if anything, will happen in your situation at age 62. :)

Last edited:

Onderzoek

but you can take ss at age 62 (at a loss) correct?
A person can qualify for retirement Social Security at age 62 at a permanently reduced amount, not a loss, because you'll be getting it for 4-5 years more than you would if you waited for full retirement age (currently age 66).

Or the person can wait until full retirement age with no reduction for early retirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">