• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ssdi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brianandjane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY
I collect ssdi benefits now for just myself, for my two older children they stopped. but 15 years ago I got re married and had a child . I never told ssi about marriage or child. will i get in trouble? and can I collect past 15 years for my child? And will my marriage be a problem with
collecting from now on?
my ssdi is in my maiden name for my self

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY
I collect ssdi benefits now for just myself, for my two older children they stopped. but 15 years ago I got re married and had a child . I never told ssi about marriage or child. will i get in trouble? and can I collect past 15 years for my child? And will my marriage be a problem with
collecting from now on?
my ssdi is in my maiden name for my self
If your marriage is a problem for collecting from now on, it would also be a problem for the last 15 years.

Since you state that your other children received benefits on your SSDI record, I assume you are receiving SSDI and not SSI l.ike you referenced also. So if your benefits are based on your work history (and not on your parent), marriage has zero effect.

You are not required to change your name when you get married. But if you do, you should change it everywhere, not just some places. At SSA, you need to show the marriage certificate and ask for a new card. Then you can ask to change your name on your benefit records.

No, don't get any back pay because you didn't bother to file a claim for the newest child. And you sure can't claim you didn't know better.

OHRoadwarrior

If your marriage is a problem for collecting from now on, it would also be a problem for the last 15 years.

Since you state that your other children received benefits on your SSDI record, I assume you are receiving SSDI and not SSI l.ike you referenced also. So if your benefits are based on your work history (and not on your parent), marriage has zero effect.

You are not required to change your name when you get married. But if you do, you should change it everywhere, not just some places. At SSA, you need to show the marriage certificate and ask for a new card. Then you can ask to change your name on your benefit records.

No, don't get any back pay because you didn't bother to file a claim for the newest child. And you sure can't claim you didn't know better.
Ditto here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">