• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI auxiliary benefits - Multiple children - Multiple households

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My ex was recently granted SSDI which I understand now makes my son eligible to receive auxiliary benefits. I have an appointment with SS, but it's not for another month. I'm trying to get as much information ahead of time so I know what to expect. My ex has three children all together, my son and two children from his first marriage. He hasn't seen any of the children in close to 10 years, so I highly doubt he'll notify the first wife of the situation. I've got a basic understanding of how auxiliary benefits are calculated, but what I can't figure out is what happens to the calculations if the first wife doesn't file a claim? The Federal Code specifically mentions something to the affect of the person has to apply! Does my son automatically just get a third of the total available amount regardless of whether she files or does he get the full amount up until the point when the first wife files a claim for the other two children? Then, of course, my son's portion would then be reduced to a third. I'm confused about how this works.

Secondly, my ex will be getting a huge, lump sum amount for the SSDI. I'm told that my son may be eligible for a lump sum amount too. Will the lump sum go back the same amount of time as the timeframe used for ex's lump sum payment? How are the lump sum payments calculated? And are they affected by the amount of children? And again, what happens to the calculation for my son if the first wife doesn't file?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My ex was recently granted SSDI which I understand now makes my son eligible to receive auxiliary benefits. I have an appointment with SS, but it's not for another month. I'm trying to get as much information ahead of time so I know what to expect. My ex has three children all together, my son and two children from his first marriage. He hasn't seen any of the children in close to 10 years, so I highly doubt he'll notify the first wife of the situation. I've got a basic understanding of how auxiliary benefits are calculated, but what I can't figure out is what happens to the calculations if the first wife doesn't file a claim? The Federal Code specifically mentions something to the affect of the person has to apply! Does my son automatically just get a third of the total available amount regardless of whether she files or does he get the full amount up until the point when the first wife files a claim for the other two children? Then, of course, my son's portion would then be reduced to a third. I'm confused about how this works.

Secondly, my ex will be getting a huge, lump sum amount for the SSDI. I'm told that my son may be eligible for a lump sum amount too. Will the lump sum go back the same amount of time as the timeframe used for ex's lump sum payment? How are the lump sum payments calculated? And are they affected by the amount of children? And again, what happens to the calculation for my son if the first wife doesn't file?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-4.html

All the answers to your questions are at www.ssa.gov. :cool:
Listen, I've spent hours scouring ssa.gov. They don't specifically address auxiliary benefits involving multiple children in multiple households. Nor do they address the issue of claim filing from multiple households. So, if you don't know the answer, can you just leave the question open for someone who might? Thanks.

BL

It's up to the SSA recipient to include/notify SSA of their children, their SS#s, and any mother(s) information.

If he does not include them all and the other mother has no clue he is receiving SSDI , then the one(s) he does include with receive the benefits.

I can't tell you what would happen if the other's mother found out and applied, but since YOU do know , why not contact SSA yourself to advise them and get advice on the situation yourself .

The benefits would then be equally spit, one ages out ,then adjusted and so on.

It's up to the SSA recipient to include/notify SSA of their children, their SS#s, and any mother(s) information.

If he does not include them all and the other mother has no clue he is receiving SSDI , then the one(s) he does include with receive the benefits.

I can't tell you what would happen if the other's mother found out and applied, but since YOU do know , why not contact SSA yourself to advise them and get advice on the situation yourself .

The benefits would then be equally spit, one ages out ,then adjusted and so on.
Unfortunately, this still doesn't answer my questions either. Ex listed names of the three children on his application for SSDI. He didn't have or know the three kids' SS numbers. So SS knows of the three children. However, they obviously don't send out notices "Your kid is eligible to receive auxiliary benefits......". I'm just trying to ascertain how it actually works and how the calculations are done based on whether or not first wife files.

Antigone*

Unfortunately, this still doesn't answer my questions either. Ex listed names of the three children on his application for SSDI. He didn't have or know the three kids' SS numbers. So SS knows of the three children. However, they obviously don't send out notices "Your kid is eligible to receive auxiliary benefits......". I'm just trying to ascertain how it actually works and how the calculations are done based on whether or not first wife files.
Ask the SSA.:cool:

Why is it that people often make things more complicated than they need to be:confused:

Ask the SSA.:cool:

Why is it that people often make things more complicated than they need to be:confused:
And why is it that people can't read. I HAVE an appt with SS. I WILL ask. I just had the mistaken thought that someone here might actually know how it really works. Guess not. :rolleyes:

Antigone*

And why is it that people can't read. I HAVE an appt with SS. I WILL ask. I just had the mistaken thought that someone here might actually know how it really works. Guess not. :rolleyes:
I read perfectly fine. That does not change my answer.

I guess it is all about instant gratification in your world, huh:rolleyes:

The Federal Code governs the SSA. However, the Code is ambigous on multiple children/multiple households.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">