• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI Auxillary benefits and Stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katie515

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I recently remarried and my ex-husband told me that he would like to relinquish his parental rights. As it stands my son receives auxiliary benefits from his fathers SSDI, his father is severely mentally impaired due to a brain tumor and hasn't seen him in several years now. Would he continue to receive auxiliary benefits? My son has high functioning autism and those benefits allow me to pay for therapies, daycare, etc.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I recently remarried and my ex-husband told me that he would like to relinquish his parental rights. As it stands my son receives auxiliary benefits from his fathers SSDI, his father is severely mentally impaired due to a brain tumor and hasn't seen him in several years now. Would he continue to receive auxiliary benefits? My son has high functioning autism and those benefits allow me to pay for therapies, daycare, etc.
Social Security Survivor's benefits continue after a stepparent adoption but I think its unlikely that SSDI auxiliary benefits would. I cannot find a definitive answer in a quick google search either. Your best bet would be to make an appointment at your local SS office to discuss the matter with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">