• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI back pay & SSI benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am in Michigan.
My SSDI hearing is finally coming up next week. My question is this: If I receive a large sum of SSDI backpay money to cover the benefits that I should have received since the time of filing (2 yrs ago), will that effect the amount of SSI benefits that I am then eligible for? I know they calculate what you can receive based upon income and savings. I understand that my monthly SSDI payments will probably count towards that, but what about the backpay? If I put in all in a savings account when I get it, will that amount count against how much SSI I qualify for?

BL

I am in Michigan.
My SSDI hearing is finally coming up next week. My question is this: If I receive a large sum of SSDI backpay money to cover the benefits that I should have received since the time of filing (2 yrs ago), will that effect the amount of SSI benefits that I am then eligible for? I know they calculate what you can receive based upon income and savings. I understand that my monthly SSDI payments will probably count towards that, but what about the backpay? If I put in all in a savings account when I get it, will that amount count against how much SSI I qualify for?
Look up SSI resources on the SSA site .

Generally speaking you should spend it , or invest it in a way SSI allows ( again SSA.gov ) with 30 days . You should keep receipts and a log how it was spent or invested in case SSA wants you to verify it .

Also , you may get SSI back pay .

I believe the limit on resources is $2,000 or 2,500 .

SSA has a toll free # you can call , they won't bite .....

pcgumshoe

Assuming you are getting the full benefits for SSI (Somewhere in th $670 range, I can't remember)... if you are waiting on an SSDI appeal, what they will do is determine how much your SSDI monthly payment will be. If that payment is MORE than the SSI payment, they will add up all the SSI money you received and all the SSDI money you should have received and they will deduct the SSI from the backpay. This will give you a number for you back pay.

If your SSDI payment exceeds the SSI payment, you may no longer be eligible for SSI unless you are somewhere in the $40 range (there's a deduction and then the amount of money you would be talking about is $5-40 per month).

If you get STRAIGHT SSDI, and you have a large backpay check, this money will not be held against you EXCEPT if you still wish to be eligible for certain low income state programs like Medicaid, Medically Needy, QMB, or food stamps. Your state will dictate how much in assets (including money in the bank) you can have before you are disqualified).

Also, I think the period of time you have to reduce the bank account to below the limit (which again I believe to be $2000), is 90 days before it counts against you. The SSA takes the view that if you receive a backpay check, it may take you up to 90 days to repay medical bills, outstanding debts you couldn't pay, etc.

Again, if you end up on straight SSDI, how much money you have in the bank is irrelevant EXCEPT if you want to still qualify for a low income program.

There's a calculator available on the SSA website that will allow you to calculate (to a very close proximate) the amount of SSDI you might be eligible for should they find your claim for SSDI proper. It may also take 4-6 months before they calculate out how much they owe you and start paying you SSDI.

lynnie705

Hi,
I applied for SSDI (i think) for my wife. They told me that there is a 5 months mandatory waiting period. I finally got a phone call today (exactly 5 months) and they told me that my wife is approved for SSDI. Do we get backpay for SSDI? I know that there is 2 different types. SSI and SSDI. I think SSI was similar to a welfare program which is NOT the one we got approved for. So I was just wondering if we get any back pay for the 5 months. Thanks in advance! Oh sorry we are in HAWAII by the way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">