• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI Income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

45Frank

What is the name of your state?North Carolina
A friend of just tried to tell me something and I'm not sure to believe it or not.
I haven't worked in three yrs. nov. and am still waiting for a ALJ decision. My attorney says with all the changes now with video and all it may take up to a year to hear. Question is I first sold a big house and moved to a smaller one with some money left over, when that ran out I sold that and now live in a doublewide and had some money left over, that's been gone for months now, no ins. and raising two kids myself so you know the expence. I am now looking to sell this and do I don' t know what honestly, most likely rent a singlewide, to proud for assistant, foodstamps and so on. He states I may not get approved even if It's considered I'm disabled. Because they take all this money I made off the houses and consider that income for the last three years until now.
Please I hope not it wasn't very much.

BL

You do not say if you are applying for SSDI ( from work history credits ) or SSI ( supplemental Assistance ) or Both ?

If from work history and you are determined disabled , you would still be entitled to SSDI .

Your Lawyer is correct about income a SSI though ..

Even now if you applied for State Aid , those same issues will come up .

I'm not sure how FS's would be effected , but sooner or later you might have to swallow your Pride and Apply , at least for the Kids sakes .

45Frank

I applied for SSDI. since the age of 13 I haven't missed 12 dy of work to illness til my recient sickness.

Blonde Lebinese said:
You do not say if you are applying for SSDI ( from work history credits ) or SSI ( supplemental Assistance ) or Both ?

If from work history and you are determined disabled , you would still be entitled to SSDI .

Your Lawyer is correct about income a SSI though ..

Even now if you applied for State Aid , those same issues will come up .

I'm not sure how FS's would be effected , but sooner or later you might have to swallow your Pride and Apply , at least for the Kids sakes .

nanaboo38050

45Frank

Tenn.--You need to contact your congressman and senator,as their office's can help you,and their services are free.

If you haven't worked in 3 years it's probably SSI and if this is the case any money you made from the sale of your home is a resource and SSI has a resource limit of $2,000. Until you go below that limit you're not eleigible for SSI benefits. On the other hand if it's regular disabilty that they are considering you for, your resources are not a factor.

45Frank

Thanks for the info thats what I needed to hear, from a few people now. I was worried about it for a few weeks. No I do not qualify for SSI only SSDI. Actually I thought that if you had more than $3,500.00 in net worth you couldn't qualify for SSI. I've actually waited nearly 3 years for a hearing, my attorney is confident but I've been waiting for the decision for about 3 month now.
Thank you.

AWorkOfArt said:
If you haven't worked in 3 years it's probably SSI and if this is the case any money you made from the sale of your home is a resource and SSI has a resource limit of $2,000. Until you go below that limit you're not eleigible for SSI benefits. On the other hand if it's regular disabilty that they are considering you for, your resources are not a factor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">