• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI and inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdiddy8

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I am being told that I am to receive a lump sum of $ approximately $20,000. I am currently receiving about $680 from disability. I also receive title 19 in wisconsin for my medical insurance. Do I need to report this inheritance? Will it affect my disability check in any way? Will it affect my medical insurance in any way? If it will affect either in any way, how will it affect them? Also in case it matters I have been reciecing disability for about 6 months.
Thank You :confused:

JETX

jjdiddy8 said:
Do I need to report this inheritance?
Of course you do!!

Will it affect my disability check in any way?
Gee, I hope so!!

Will it affect my medical insurance in any way?
Gee, I hope so!!

If it will affect either in any way, how will it affect them?
Hopefully by offsetting the DISABILITY compensation... since you will no longer qualify for GOVERNMENT assistance (OUR money)!!

Why the hell do you think you are entitled to OUR money... when you don't need it???

jjdiddy8

I am not receiving "your money" I am on SSDI, which is based on the money that I "earned" while I was able to work. Please do not be so quick to bash on people who have become unable to work do to no fault of their own, because it can happen to anyone - you included. The monies I may be inheriting does not in any way make me magically able to work again or for that matter "get better" I worked hard before I became disabled, much harder than a person that has the time to simply post negative responses to posts where people are truely looking for help. :mad:

justalayman

jjdiddy8 said:
I am not receiving "your money" I am on SSDI, which is based on the money that I "earned" while I was able to work. Please do not be so quick to bash on people who have become unable to work do to no fault of their own, because it can happen to anyone - you included. The monies I may be inheriting does not in any way make me magically able to work again or for that matter "get better" I worked hard before I became disabled, much harder than a person that has the time to simply post negative responses to posts where people are truely looking for help. :mad:
If you want the truth as to whos money you recieve....go back and add all the money you paid into social security.

when you recieve that total amount.....quit accepting the checks

The fact is that unless you are very old already you will recieve more SS than you paid in. That is one reason SS is in such a pickle now.

So JETX is correct... he and I and everybody else that is working are actually paying YOU!

jjdiddy8

Instead of arguing symantecs about how Social Security has so many flaws and just gives out free money to people who cannot work because of disabilities, can someone give me the advice I am asking for please.
I am not your govenor or state rep, if you have complaints tell them not me. Also just to make you aware SSDI and SSI are not just handed out, they make a person prove beyond a doubt with multiple doctors opinions and lengthy timeframes before they give out any of "YOUR MONEY"

rmet4nzkx

Please call the Social Security office they can answer your questions and to what extent it will affect your SSI income, most likely it won't affect your SSDI but It will affect your SSI and current medical coverage until you qualify for Medicare, there is a formula and we cannot answer those questions here.

A

automanfl

The poster paid for the right to apply for benefits should disability occur,while working . Additionally,if any of you knew about the system, it's very hard to be approved.if you too pay FICA taxes ,perhaps should you become disabled ,you too might collect.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

automanfl said:
It's unfortunate that you have to go through all the garbage from a large group of misinformed buttheads at this site. For the idiots. SSDI ,get it,social security disability INSURANCE.
What an idiot.
The 'Insurance' part of SSDI is NOT 'real' insurance. You don't pay premiums. You don't have a policy. Per the SSA (for idiots like you, that means "Social Security Administration") site even says:
"Social Security Disability Insurance pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes." You only have to meet their requirements for disability to receive BENEFITS!!
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

The poster paid for the right to apply for benefits should disability occur,while working .
Not true. The poster paid into the SS program... just like most private employees.

Take your benefits and go back to school. From your extremely poor grammar and lack of English 'skills', it is obvious that you dropped out in grade school. :D

A

automanfl

The poster paid for the right to apply for disability benefits,as well as to enjoy old age retirement benefits through the deductions for FICA. Your wrong,its insurance,the Federal Govt. refers to it as insurance, yet you claim its not.only requirements are you have the quarters which comes from contrabutions into fica,and are disabled according to the SSDI guidelines.I been there done that more times then your ass obviously has. Now when one is "insured"what the hell does it mean,that they have a ticket to a pony ride.You refered to them as insured ,but its not insurance.If you are insured,then you have ,OK its hard for ya ,but YES ******* INSURANCE ,what kind,for what ,who cares. The insured ,has insurance ,in this case for DISABILITY,and KUDOS,you knew ,through the SSA,did they need a policy,wow,fortunatly our Govt.has records of whom paid enough ,to gain their 40 credits (20 of which must be earned in the last 10 yrs.DONT jump yet,yes,if their younger the full credits dont apply)Employers are required to contribute and guess what, they need to deduct it from Employees paycheck ,therefore paying a premium is not needed for this benefit disbursed by SSA.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjdiddy8

Thank you for your assistance and I will try the site you suggested. I am glad that a one time bulk amount of money, which will allow me some much needed peace of mind, will not affect my disability income. Again thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">