• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI and Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hailey12

Knoxville Tn- I was approved for SSI and SSDI benefits. What would happen to those benefits if I were to get married? Also 4 months ago I became pregnant. Will I lose my benefits due to this? I would also like to add that I am receiving the SSDI benefits as a disabled child, not as a widow or based off my own income.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Knoxville Tn- I was approved for SSI and SSDI benefits. What would happen to those benefits if I were to get married? Also 4 months ago I became pregnant. Will I lose my benefits due to this?

Your SSI is based upon household income - that may well be reduced if you cohabit or marry.

SSDI is not. That won't be affected.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Knoxville Tn- I was approved for SSI and SSDI benefits. What would happen to those benefits if I were to get married? Also 4 months ago I became pregnant. Will I lose my benefits due to this? I would also like to add that I am receiving the SSDI benefits as a disabled child, not as a widow or based off my own income.
What did the SSA office say when you called them and asked these questions? :cool:

Lydarose

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1524/~/eligibility-requirements-for-a-disabled-adult-child's-benefit

To receive SSDI benefits as a Disabled Adult Child, you must be unmarried.

Onderzoek

I am giving you a different answer.

SSI may stop, go down or stay the same.

SSDI on a parent's record will probably stop. If it stops and you still qualify for SSI, SSI may go up. Or it still may stop or go down.

Numbers are needed. Go to your local office. Bring numbers - boyfriend's SSN, boyfriend's pay stubs, boyfriend's bank information. How does boyfriend support himself?

Hailey12

What did the SSA office say when you called them and asked these questions? :cool:
I am making 1400$ total, 400$ of that being ssi and 1000$ being the ssdi.

I went up to my social security office today and was told by one person that my SSDI would continue indefinitely regardless of marriage and that my SSI may or may not be changed. This contradicts the official social security website that says if I am a disabled child who receives ssdi that those would be discontinued.

I also talked to another person at the social security office and was told by them that my SSDI would stop and that my SSI portion of 400$ would stay the same- that it would be 400$ if my husband made zero dollars a month and it would be 400$ if he made a million dollars. Well I have certainly never heard of SSI working in this way.

Don't the Social Security people have to get training to know about this kind of thing so they don't give inaccurate information?

Onderzoek

I am making 1400$ total, 400$ of that being ssi and 1000$ being the ssdi.

I went up to my social security office today and was told by one person that my SSDI would continue indefinitely regardless of marriage and that my SSI may or may not be changed. This contradicts the official social security website that says if I am a disabled child who receives ssdi that those would be discontinued.

I also talked to another person at the social security office and was told by them that my SSDI would stop and that my SSI portion of 400$ would stay the same- that it would be 400$ if my husband made zero dollars a month and it would be 400$ if he made a million dollars. Well I have certainly never heard of SSI working in this way.

Don't the Social Security people have to get training to know about this kind of thing so they don't give inaccurate information?
If it is true that you are currently getting $1000 from your CDB benefits from your father's record and $400 from SSI, whether or not you are married, you are being overpaid on SSI. It happens sometimes that the two records fail to interface correctly. SSA will figure it out someday.

As a CDB if you marry another CDB or a person entitled to SSDI, your CDB will not stop. That is called a protected marriage.

The amount of SSI could change based on your husband's income. Are you thinking about marrying a working man or a disabled man or a man who doesn't work and wants you to support him?

I am beginning to think this entire thread is a made up story or that the poster doesn't listen to what is told to her at SSA.

Hailey12

If it is true that you are currently getting $1000 from your CDB benefits from your father's record and $400 from SSI, whether or not you are married, you are being overpaid on SSI. It happens sometimes that the two records fail to interface correctly. SSA will figure it out someday.

As a CDB if you marry another CDB or a person entitled to SSDI, your CDB will not stop. That is called a protected marriage.

The amount of SSI could change based on your husband's income. Are you thinking about marrying a working man or a disabled man or a man who doesn't work and wants you to support him?

I am beginning to think this entire thread is a made up story or that the poster doesn't listen to what is told to her at SSA.
My fiance is not disabled. He will be working if we get married as he is already welcome into his families business. He has not been working as of now due to reasons of him helping a family member with a health condition and the recent death of his father. The amount of money he will make really depends and may fluctuate but we estimate he will be making on average 600$ per month. My husband and I were both listening and we both heard the same thing so unless we both misunderstood, I don't know what's going on here. I wish I had a lawyer to go up with me and make sure they are not giving me the run around but I really don't. The only legal help I can find for disabled persons is FREE LEGAL AID TENNESSEE - Pro Bono Attorneys however to qualify I must be 125% below poverty level and I don't think I am and am unable to find what the poverty level is in Knoxville. I don't know what to do! :(

My main reason for needing to know what the changes will be in income before getting married and moving in together, is that if our incomes combined are less then what I am receiving now, we won't have enough money to pay the current bills which include rent which is a 1 year lease. And even if it is lower, I would still need to receive food stamps just to eat. And then there's the baby on the way. Is there any way to estimate what my monthly pay would be based on the estimate of him making 600$ a month? I need to plan for this, I can't just jump into a marriage not knowing if it would cause the three of us to end up homeless with me in dept to my landlord. I am hoping we won't have to put off the marriage due to financial reasons, but it is better to be safe than sorry. We desperately want to be married and be together as a family!

Last edited:

Onderzoek

Since the federal benefit rate for SSI is currently $710 per month and you state that you are receiving $1400 a month between your CDB benefits and the SSI, then you are being overpaid right now by the entire amount of SSI, whether or not you get married. CDB benefits of $1000 exceed the $710 federal benefit rate. Too bad no one at SSA has noticed that. They will eventually. If this has been going on for two years or more, eventually you will get a bill for $9600. Regardless of whether SSA should have noticed it sooner. Now you may have a good reason for SSI to approve a waiver of this overpayment, but that doesn't change the fact that you have gotten used to living on $1400 a month which is about $400 too much. Regardless of whether or not you have a husband.

Moving on:
Since your boyfriend is not disabled, you would not have a protected marriage and your CDB benefits of $1000 would stop the month after your marriage. A protected marriage allows a mentally challenged adult to marry another mentally challenged adult and neither lose the benefits from their parents. You don't state what your disabling condition is, but you don't write like a mentally challenged adult. So once you marry an able bodied man, you are no longer the dependent of your parents. It is a terminating event for CDB.

As an SSI recipient with one child with no income, if your spouse earns $600 from wages, there would be no reduction in the $710 federal SSI. If he gets $600 in non wage income from his family (money paid for reasons other than working) $600 would also not affect SSI benefits as long as there was no other money or assistance (help with rent) being paid.

As his income increases, it could affect SSI. Earned income has a 1/2 disregard that does not apply to unearned income so it matters if he gets paid by wages by payroll with taxes or cash under the table. You benefited from the fact that your parent paid payroll taxes. That is why you get CDB benefits.

micmac

My fiance is not disabled. He will be working if we get married as he is already welcome into his families business. He has not been working as of now due to reasons of him helping a family member with a health condition and the recent death of his father. The amount of money he will make really depends and may fluctuate but we estimate he will be making on average 600$ per month. My husband and I were both listening and we both heard the same thing so unless we both misunderstood, I don't know what's going on here. I wish I had a lawyer to go up with me and make sure they are not giving me the run around but I really don't. The only legal help I can find for disabled persons is FREE LEGAL AID TENNESSEE - Pro Bono Attorneys however to qualify I must be 125% below poverty level and I don't think I am and am unable to find what the poverty level is in Knoxville. I don't know what to do! :(

My main reason for needing to know what the changes will be in income before getting married and moving in together, is that if our incomes combined are less then what I am receiving now, we won't have enough money to pay the current bills which include rent which is a 1 year lease. And even if it is lower, I would still need to receive food stamps just to eat. And then there's the baby on the way. Is there any way to estimate what my monthly pay would be based on the estimate of him making 600$ a month? I need to plan for this, I can't just jump into a marriage not knowing if it would cause the three of us to end up homeless with me in dept to my landlord. I am hoping we won't have to put off the marriage due to financial reasons, but it is better to be safe than sorry. We desperately want to be married and be together as a family!
Do your husband and fiance know about each other? Lol or did you already get married and then realize you were in danger of losing money

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">