• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mkamel

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Washington, D.C.

Hello. My name is Morris and I have a question concerning social security disability payments. I am a computer programmer who has been on SSDI for about two-and-a-half years due to a stroke I suffered in 1999. I started a new full-time job nearly a month ago and am a little unsure if I should report this to the SSA. I spoke to a representative about a year ago and he said to wait until the SSA sends me an overpayment letter, but in other places I've read that the law says I have to do so right away. The reason I don't want to do so is because I have had several other jobs in my field the past three or four years and was forced to leave after a few weeks or months, and don't want my benefits to be stopped in case this happens again. Does anyone know if there is any sort of penalty if I wait until I receive a letter? Thanks.

Last edited:

inspiringmind

Tell Them

Mkamel said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Washington, D.C.

Hello. My name is Morris and I have a question concerning social security disability payments. I am a computer programmer who has been on SSDI for about two-and-a-half years due to a stroke I suffered in 1999. I started a new full-time job nearly a month ago and am a little unsure if I should report this to the SSA. I spoke to a representative about a year ago and he said to wait until the SSA sends me an overpayment letter, but in other places I've read that the law says I have to do so right away. The reason I don't want to do so is because I have had several other jobs in my field the past three or four years and was forced to leave after a few weeks or months, and don't want my benefits to be stopped in case this happens again. Does anyone know if there is any sort of penalty if I wait until I receive a letter? Thanks.

Report it. When youare SSDI you get a 9 month trial work period. That means no matter how much money you make or earn you keep your benefits for 9 months...the 9 months is in a 5 year period total though. After the 9 months they will review your case to see if you are SGA (SUBSTANTIAL GAINFUL ACTIVITY) and if you are still disabled If you are SGA(usually by then you are) they will pay you for three more months and then stop. You can stop working anytime in this 9 months though and your benefits will continue. And if your 9 months was up and they stopped your benefits, but considered you disabled still, you can get back your benefits without having to fill out any new paperwork. The penalty for not telling them is if you go past the 9 months and you shouldn't have gotten benefits then they will want the money back. Then they will get a garnishment from the job you currently have. Or take it out of your SSDI benefits if you were still getting them.

Mary

lbmarie

Without question you should report it. You are dealing with the government and should not hide anything. The advice a representative gave you is crazy. Why would anyone put themselves in an overpayment situation.

It's unfortunate that you had a stroke, but at least you were able to get benefits. They are there to help when needed. Consider yourself lucky if and when the time comes that you know longer need them.

Do the right thing and keep them informed. Good luck.

Last edited:

acmb05

Ok good advice just want to add something.

While you are working you will still receive your payments, however this is the way it works. Just so you know I am on disibility also.

When you work you are allowed (during this trial period) to earn up to what your disibility check is with no penalty. If you make more than what your check is they deduct one dollar for every two dollars over that you make.

I will use mine as an example. I get 858.00 a month. When I worked If I made 958.00 one month they would subtract 50.00 from my check. (I made 100 more than my disibility payment) and send me the balance. Keep in mind that it will always be a month behind because you dont report till the end of the month. So it will come off the next months check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">