• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI Overpayment as a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvwguy

Hello all,

My father was on SSDI and received a check. In turn as a minor thats how my mother received her check for myself and my brother. She was "In care of" our checks.

Now here is the issue.

My father get a letter stating he was overpaid. So in turn he files a waiver and it gets accepted.

6 months later my mother gets a letter stating she was overpaid. 16 years after she stops getting the checks for my brother and I. So she files awaiver. She is still waiting to hear from SSI but the agent told her that if she gets the overpayment waived that they may come after myself and my brother.

How can they come after payment that was maid to a minor child in care of their mother?

How long can they wait before demanding repayment?

Has anyone else been through this and not had to repay?

SSI cant give us any info other than how much we were overpaid.

Not to mention that my father was remarried and started getting a check for his step daughter. Is that legal or right?

Any help would be great! Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">