• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI questions, need help, just starting.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candrews922

What is the name of your state? NY:confused: Well before I ask my questions I will go ahead and thank anyone for reading my post, and a special thank you for anyone who can provide assistance. I am 47 next month, I stopped working in 3/2003. I was pregnant and due to age and the rest of my physical condition couldn't continue. I didn't persue short term disability because I knew that I wouldn't be able to go back to work right away with a baby and my limitations. I didn't know about the 10 statute for receiving SSDI. I have tried to go back to work a number of times but the hours, pay, or situation just wasn't going to work. At some point a number of months ago I herniated my L4-L5 disc. I have had LBP for years with numerous instances of incapacitation, which I would go to the Chiropractor for and get through it. I figured I had DDD and I do. I also have arthritis and together they are causing a lot of nerve compression and radiculopathy in 3 spinal areas, cervial, thorasic and lumbar. I have advanced carpel tunnel bilateral also. I have large vericose veins in both legs and I have started having tremors which I am not sure are being generated by. Due to having a little one I have put off having surgery which I am not to hot on anyway. Now here are the questions: Does the fact you have young children come into play when being determined? Does the fact that having a bunch of surgeries could possibly improve your situation make them turn you down.How is the actual date you couldn't work anymore be determined if you didn't have some type of event that could be pinpointed. Should be retain a lawyer from the very start of the process or wait until you receive an initial denial. Thanks.

BL

Does the fact you have young children come into play when being determined?
NO

Does the fact that having a bunch of surgeries could possibly improve your situation make them turn you down
If you are expected to be disabled for 12 or more months , you may qualify .

How is the actual date you couldn't work anymore be determined if you didn't have some type of event that could be pinpointed.
At the interview to apply , the worker will go by your medical history to enter a date of disability began .

Should be retain a lawyer from the very start of the process or wait until you receive an initial denial.
Right off the bat if you don't want to wait and possibly go through a bunch of appeals .
Otherwise you could wait for a denial , if you get one .

Consults with an SSI attorney are advertised as free . If the Attorney thinks you have a good case , He/She will take it on a contingency basis . If the Attorney wins they take 25-30 % of back benefits from the get go , and you will receive the rest .

candrews922

Thanks

thanks for replying to my questions. I am seriously considering getting a lawyer. My husband is still able to work, so we would more easily afford something now than later. He is almost 58 and I am 47 next month. We were surprised with a "blessed event" in 2003. She is now a very busy 3 year old, and just about killing me, no lie. Again thanks for the input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">