• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI and rent income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michigan

Due to an illness, I'm on SS disability. We would like to move in order to get me closer to some important places and to improve my wife's commute, and have found a nice little condo that's about perfect. The housing market is bad in the area our house is in, so we are considering renting it out with the help of a property management company.

How is rental income calculated? I understand I can make as much as $800 per month without harming my benefits. I'm assuming the mortgage we pay is not deducted from the rental income. But what about the mortgage interest and property insurance?

Any advice would be great - thanks.

Onderzoek

Only wages and self-employment income affect SSDI benefits.

All income affects SSI benefits.

Since you state you are getting SSDI and expecting rental income, there will be no effect on your SSDI benefits. Amount doesn't matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">