• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI Spousal Benefit and Private LTDI - Will it reduce spouse's full SS benefit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobs01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My wife is on LTDI from her ex-employers insurance company. She was just approved for SSDI. We understand that the private insurance company will receive her SSDI back-payments, because they want to be compensated for what they have paid to date.

What I am worried about, is that the insurance company contract is requiring me to now apply for SSDI Spousal Benefits (I am 62) and use that to further offset what they pay my wife under LTDI. If I don't apply, they say that they will 'estimate' what my benefit would be, regardless of whether I get it, and subtract that from my wife's current LTDI payment.

I was not planning to collect my own Social Security on my own record until I turned 66. Will the action of the insurance company 'forcing' me to apply for Social Security at this time under my wife's SSDI benefit, trigger the early retirement penalty of my own SS payments? Or, when I turn 66 will I be able to re-claim my own unreduced Social Security full retirement benefit?

Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">