• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssdi or ssi?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timmmay

i've been trying to figure out which one i've been receiving for the last 12 yrs. i was 27yrs old serving in the military and became paralyzed in an accident. i've lost the original paperworks and what comes in the mail and direct deposit doesn't say. i've heard there's a cap amount for ssi and ssdi depends on how much you've put in? i'm from connecticut and currently receives $950/month less medicare. ssdi or ssi? thanks...

Ozark_Sophist

i've been trying to figure out which one i've been receiving for the last 12 yrs. i was 27yrs old serving in the military and became paralyzed in an accident. i've lost the original paperworks and what comes in the mail and direct deposit doesn't say. i've heard there's a cap amount for ssi and ssdi depends on how much you've put in? i'm from connecticut and currently receives $950/month less medicare. ssdi or ssi? thanks...
/medicare/ SSDI

BL

Get on line to your bank account and look at the US treasury Deposits.

If you had SSI it would reflect Supp Sec ( for supplemental security ).

SSDI would reflect US treasury .

You can also click on the entries to view them and they would reflect SSA or SSI .

timmmay

yes, it was a service connected injury and i'm receiving monthly compensation from it also. now that one explicitly says "us treasury" on direct deposit.

however, on my sss online direct deposit only says "social security for my name." it doesn't say supplemental, us treasury, or ssa?

isn't ssi capped at $674 for singles this year? so, my $950 is more than likely from ssdi not ssi?

BL

yes, it was a service connected injury and i'm receiving monthly compensation from it also. now that one explicitly says "us treasury" on direct deposit.

however, on my sss online direct deposit only says "social security for my name." it doesn't say supplemental, us treasury, or ssa?

isn't ssi capped at $674 for singles this year? so, my $950 is more than likely from ssdi not ssi?
Click on/open your US treasury and click view details . It will say SSA Or SSI( If it is for SSI ).

If you are receiving Medicare you're receiving SSDI .

justalayman

I think you are incorrect here BL. SSI is a needs based program (as opposed to SSDI which is an earned program) but I believe a party receiving either one can be eligible for medicare as long as they qualify.

timmmay

Click on/open your US treasury and click view details . It will say SSA Or SSI( If it is for SSI ).

my online banking doesn't have that feature. the transactions are not clickable or not linked to further details.

i've also read somewhere in google that ssi recipients can also receive medicare.

BL

my online banking doesn't have that feature. the transactions are not clickable or not linked to further details.

i've also read somewhere in google that ssi recipients can also receive medicare.
SSI ( Supplemental Security ) recipients can receive Medicaid , not Medicare .

If the recipients receive SSDI ( From work history ) and SSI they could possibly receive both.

Google SSA.GOV and search away.

justalayman

If the recipients receive SSDI ( From work history ) and SSI they could possibly receive both.

my apologies. I don't know why I tend to reverse medicaid and medicare but that is what I did.

timmmay

now i'm pretty sure i'm receiving ssdi. ssa.gov says that an ssi application in most states is also an application for medicaid. and i know i don't have medicaid. many thanks BL :)

BL

now i'm pretty sure i'm receiving ssdi. ssa.gov says that an ssi application in most states is also an application for medicaid. and i know i don't have medicaid. many thanks BL :)
You're welcome .

Yes , if one receives SSI they also would be under SSI Medicaid .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">