• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI/SSI n' marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chris516

I have been receiving SSDI since 1997. My girlfriend has been receiving SSI. I have come to find out, that, if we were to get married, the SSA would practically slash her SSI funds down to 0.

What is the reason for such an outrageous rule? By not being married, we earn near a total of $1,400/mth.. By getting married and, that would cause our income to be slashed down to practically, 0. This would mean, I would have to get two jobs to support us.

Who thought up that crazy scheme?

Christopher

BL

I have been receiving SSDI since 1997. My girlfriend has been receiving SSI. I have come to find out, that, if we were to get married, the SSA would practically slash her SSI funds down to 0.

What is the reason for such an outrageous rule? By not being married, we earn near a total of $1,400/mth.. By getting married and, that would cause our income to be slashed down to practically, 0. This would mean, I would have to get two jobs to support us.

Who thought up that crazy scheme?

Christopher
Congress.

This is from 2001 stats and NY State.

Generally, the monthly amounts allocated to a disabled couple are divided equally and paid separately to the two individuals.

Two individuals are considered to be an eligible couple if both are eligible for benefits, are married (or the equivalent of married) and have lived in the same household as husband and wife within the past six months. If an individual is married to (or the equivalent of married to) an individual who is also receiving disability benefits, then that individual will receive less assistance. Congress based this rule on the reasoning that two people living together can live more economically than if they lived alone. However, if this was truly the rationale than married eligible couples should each receive $553 per month which is the SSI rate for people living with others instead of only $450 each per month. Yet, individuals who are married receive $153 less per month than those who are unmarried. This difference in benefit rates between married and unmarried persons is termed the marriage penalty. Unfortunately, there is no way to get around this marriage penalty.

Chris516

Congress.

This is from 2001 stats and NY State.

Generally, the monthly amounts allocated to a disabled couple are divided equally and paid separately to the two individuals.

Two individuals are considered to be an eligible couple if both are eligible for benefits, are married (or the equivalent of married) and have lived in the same household as husband and wife within the past six months. If an individual is married to (or the equivalent of married to) an individual who is also receiving disability benefits, then that individual will receive less assistance. Congress based this rule on the reasoning that two people living together can live more economically than if they lived alone. However, if this was truly the rationale than married eligible couples should each receive $553 per month which is the SSI rate for people living with others instead of only $450 each per month. Yet, individuals who are married receive $153 less per month than those who are unmarried. This difference in benefit rates between married and unmarried persons is termed the marriage penalty. Unfortunately, there is no way to get around this marriage penalty.

That is twisted. The SSA penalizes people for being married, while, the IRS gives married couples, tax breaks that, single people don't get.

Suffice it to say, the IRS champions marriage while, the SSA disourages it.:mad:

TWISTED!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">