• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI/SSI Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cinnyminna

What is the name of your state? NY Hello everyone, and thanks ahead for any replies. I got a call today from my SSDI rep. I am approved for SSD and SSI also. The rep said that I shouldn't bother with the SSI because I will receive more from SSD anyway and also If I get the SSI then I will be responsible for paying money back to the welfare program that's helped me for the last 7 months. As with SSD I will not have to pay anything back and will get back pay from 12/05 until now. Has anyone ever heard of this? Should I withdraw my SSI application?

BL

What is the name of your state? NY Hello everyone, and thanks ahead for any replies. I got a call today from my SSDI rep. I am approved for SSD and SSI also. The rep said that I shouldn't bother with the SSI because I will receive more from SSD anyway and also If I get the SSI then I will be responsible for paying money back to the welfare program that's helped me for the last 7 months. As with SSD I will not have to pay anything back and will get back pay from 12/05 until now. Has anyone ever heard of this? Should I withdraw my SSI application?
Tell your rep. he/she is wrong .

The rep. is not looking out for your best interest .

When persons apply for Soc. Sec. disability , a worker that goes over the application process most always enters for both SSDI and SSI .

Money from your back pay will be repaid to the welfare program that helped you from your back pay , and rightfully so .

Remember it's coming out of the back pay . SSI as with welfare are paid on needs .

What is left from paying welfare back will come to you .

On top of that ( get this ) , if your SSDI payments are below a certain level , you will receive an SSI supplemental check each month , along with you SSDI , making you eligible for other types of benefits . IE: food stamps , heap,etc .

Oh , if you're going to need a representative payee , don't request the rep. you have now .

Make sure it's a trusted one , or SSA has a list of agencies they can assign .

BTW : Your already Approved according to your rep. Check with SSA's 800 number to be sure .

Last edited:

cinnyminna

I will look into to that. I didn't think that sounded right. My payment for SSD will be $850.00 monthly but she said my payment for SSI would only be 739.00. So I should look around for a nother rep right. I receive a letter in December saying I was approved. I spoke with 2 different people at the local SSA office that also says I'm approved.

Last edited:

BL

I will look into to that. I didn't think that sounded right. My payment for SSD will be $850.00 monthly but she said my payment for SSI would only be 739.00. So I should look around for a nother rep right.
There are two different kinds of Reps .

One is to represent you in the applications process .

Once you're approved and it's all finalized , they are not your rep. any longer .

According to your Rep. you have ALREADY been approved for both . ( again check with SSA's toll free number , or a/your worker at your local SSA Office .

After you have been approved , the process goes through a payment center . There SSA figures out how much SSD you would receive and how much SSI ( a small supplement if you qualify ) , you would receive .

I'm not sure if the SSD $850.00 monthly would put you over the limit for SSI supplement , but they will figure it out .

You will get your SSD for sure . Don't drop either .

Then there's a rep. payee ( if you can not handle your money ) , would be appointed .

That's what I meant by if you need one of these do not have SSA appoint the rep. for the application process appointed .( they don't know what's going on ).

Understand now ?

Last edited:

cinnyminna

Ok, I understand now. I believe the second person I spoke with was being lazy by trying to get me to withdraw my SSI application. Thanks for making it clear for me. I will call the 800 number in the morning to double check my approval. I'm also going to look into speaking with the first person who I origianaly spoke with. She informed me that she would hold the retro check until I interviewed with SSI. So I also will be seeking outside help into looking into this also. Thanks for the info.

free2beme

you wont have to pay welfare back as long as you report that you are being awarded any ssi or ssd dont wait to report thats when you have to pay back::p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">