• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssdi/ui/pension/tra-taa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t734

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a question regarding all the above in my title. I am a former Hostess Brands employee who has qualified for TRA/TAA. One of my former coworkers is drawing SSDI and UI and accessing the TRA/TAA benefits also. Because he is getting SSDI he has had his UI reduced. He is considering drawing his pension from Hostess. Will that also reduce his UI further and will it affect his SSDI? He paid SS taxes and from what I read it looks like his SSDI will not be affected. But I am not sure.

Thank you

OHRoadwarrior

It is interesting that he is arguing to one gov't agency he is too disabled to work, another that he cannot find work and a third that he needs retraining to go to work.

t734

Why is it any of your business?
Why the attitude? I asked a question here because it looked like a forum to get information.
The man I am speaking of has no computer and wants to get answers as quick as possible without having to go down to the SS office. If you can't answer it, shut up.

t734

It is interesting that he is arguing to one gov't agency he is too disabled to work, another that he cannot find work and a third that he needs retraining to go to work.
Tell it to the govt. They gave him the SSDI and told him he can draw his UI under the TRA/TAA program. They know full well he is on SSDI and looking for retraining.

OHRoadwarrior

Why the attitude? I asked a question here because it looked like a forum to get information.
The man I am speaking of has no computer and wants to get answers as quick as possible without having to go down to the SS office. If you can't answer it, shut up.
I suspect you have inhaled to much diesel smoke, if you think people are going to assist someone with that kind of attitude. If you want paid legal advice, pay a lawyer.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
We can, but choose not to. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Once again, it is none of your business. Point him in the direction of the library where they have computers available to the public and stay the you know what out of his business. It's nothing to do with you.

BL

Q. How do I qualify for Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA)?

A. To qualify for TRA you must:
Be covered by an approved TAA certification,
Be a worker laid off due to lack of work from a U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL), Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) certified employer on or after the impact date identified by USDOL, and prior to the expiration date of the certification,
Must have worked at least 26 weeks with wages of $30 or more with the certified firm or subdivision in the previous 52-week period, including the week of separation,
Be entitled to and have exhausted all rights to state or any other federal unemployment compensation benefits, and
Be enrolled in or have completed a TAA-approved training program
or

I think someone is fibbing and trying to get as much as they can take .

I believe the system has crosschecks , and the likelihood of Fraud is great.

OHRoadwarrior

That is what I considered. The other "issue" I had was apparently OP had a job driving terminal to terminal in a day cab. There is more than one employer out there, hiring day cab drivers to drive terminal to terminal, for similar wages.

BL

Didn't they re-open that Hostess Plant ?

Twinkies and some others are or will be back on the shelves. ;)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Didn't they re-open that Hostess Plant ?

Twinkies and some others are or will be back on the shelves. ;)
They're owned by a different company and I doubt they'll bring back any of the union workers (who refused to work with Hostess to keep the company viable). :cool:

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a question regarding all the above in my title. I am a former Hostess Brands employee who has qualified for TRA/TAA. One of my former coworkers is drawing SSDI and UI and accessing the TRA/TAA benefits also. Because he is getting SSDI he has had his UI reduced. He is considering drawing his pension from Hostess. Will that also reduce his UI further and will it affect his SSDI? He paid SS taxes and from what I read it looks like his SSDI will not be affected. But I am not sure.

Thank you
Don't know what TRA/TAA is.

Worker's comp and public disability benefits affect SSDI benefits.

don't have a clue about whether TRA/TAA affects unemployment benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">