• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSDI and VA income increases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Soe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Is it required to report VA benefits increases to SS? My mother receives disability benefits since my father passed away (no SSI). She is eligible for VA education benefits, so my brother and I want her to take classes to help strengthen her cognitive ability. She likes to learn, but cannot work now, so we want her to keep her mind as strong as possible, plus she always wanted to get a degree, but she worked so hard to put us through college and didn't take time for herself. Would the education pay affect her disability income in any way? Should she report the increased income she would get from VA to go to school (monthly benefit, up to $925 for full time)? It is compensation, not work-earned income. She's 60 and isn't sure she can pass the classes, and mostly she doesn't want to take a chance of losing her disability rating. We think it would be good for her to get her mind off Dad a few hours each day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">