• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssi for adhd for children please read

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigscreen2407

What is the name of your state? tx
my son was dxd in 2003 with adhd because he was have inattention and hyperactivity. so he was tested at the school and they stated he had a low average iq and did not have adhd that bad and he was not eligible for special ed. well he was in speech classes because he use to stutter bad. i decided i would take him to a psychologist and psychiatrist. he had an iq of 74 but the woodcock said he met or exceeded so he would not have a learning disability. he has been denied twice. we went to the hearing and is waiting on a decision. my lawyer said the case looks good and there is a lot of evidence but then she also said if the judge does not rule in favor to immediately appeal it. my son was put on adderall and concerta and the teacher stated it is not helping at all. i called the psychiatrist yesterday and he wants to put him on a mood stabilizer trileptal. the psychiatrist is thinking he may have some bipolar. he has gotten in trouble at lot at school and been suspended about 4 times. he cannot sit in his seat, he bothers other students, have to tell him about 5 times to do something. to make a long story short i was wanting to know are these symptoms label as marked inattention, hyperactivity or impulsiveness to you. do you think we have a strong case. i am so anxious. i am also in the process of waiting on hearing for myself for anxiety and depression. but i just wanted info on my child thanks ;)

BL

bigscreen2407 said:
What is the name of your state? tx
my son was dxd in 2003 with adhd because he was have inattention and hyperactivity. so he was tested at the school and they stated he had a low average iq and did not have adhd that bad and he was not eligible for special ed. well he was in speech classes because he use to stutter bad. i decided i would take him to a psychologist and psychiatrist. he had an iq of 74 but the woodcock said he met or exceeded so he would not have a learning disability. he has been denied twice. we went to the hearing and is waiting on a decision. my lawyer said the case looks good and there is a lot of evidence but then she also said if the judge does not rule in favor to immediately appeal it. my son was put on adderall and concerta and the teacher stated it is not helping at all. i called the psychiatrist yesterday and he wants to put him on a mood stabilizer trileptal. the psychiatrist is thinking he may have some bipolar. he has gotten in trouble at lot at school and been suspended about 4 times. he cannot sit in his seat, he bothers other students, have to tell him about 5 times to do something. to make a long story short i was wanting to know are these symptoms label as marked inattention, hyperactivity or impulsiveness to you. do you think we have a strong case. i am so anxious. i am also in the process of waiting on hearing for myself for anxiety and depression. but i just wanted info on my child thanks ;)
In my experience with the ADHD and the symtoms you mentioned , even IF the child were Sp. Ed , would not be eligible for SSI .

There has to be a more servere DX . , or a combination of DX.s .

Unless or until there is more servere DX's and symtoms , denials are likely .

The pyciatrist needs to keep changing ( trials ) of meds . Even if none help , with the present DX . it's very unlikely for aproval , but who knows .

bigscreen2407

what do you mean severe symptoms

he has marked hyperavtivity and impulsiveness the attorney said there is good evidence in his file. can you explain more on the serverity of the symptoms. his doctor thinks he may be bipolar and adhd. is that enough. i need for you explain the serverity part im not getting that. he has a borderline iq

BL

bigscreen2407 said:
he has marked hyperavtivity and impulsiveness the attorney said there is good evidence in his file. can you explain more on the serverity of the symptoms. his doctor thinks he may be bipolar and adhd. is that enough. i need for you explain the serverity part im not getting that. he has a borderline iq
I'll try to explain by experience .

I helped raise my girlfriend's son . DX'd in school ADHD , put in Sp. Ed , marked hyper and impulsive , wouldn't sit still in school , peer problems , suspensions . He could get A's and B's or later got C,D,and F's .

In later yrs , He set small fires , one on bus - one in garage . He became full of Anger - threats of suicide - homicide w/ ideation's .

Was in outpatient - day treatments - impatient mental health , trouble with the Law , more school suspensions .

Of course through the yrs. on trial of meds .

In 95 He was denied SSI based on ADHD only .

Last yr. at 17 we applied again . He was approved , although by the time he was approved he had been kicked out of the home due to threats on my life .

That's what I mean about severity or combination of problems .

Just because the pyc. believes Bipolar , doesn't mean anything for SSI review .

A proper DX is needed .

Today he visits us a is respectful , and works here and there .. although his symtoms creep up on him at times .

ellencee

Why not meet the child's needs and put him in a school/educational program designed to meet the educational needs of a child with an IQ of 74. This child cannot grasp what is being presented in his current educational setting; therefore, he misbehaves. What else is a bored, frustrated, intimidated, child to do? Sit quietly while a big noisy world whirls around him?

All the medication in the world cannot make this child behave and learn. Certainly, you can sedate him into being a zombie and he will sit and stare but he will not learn what is being presented; he will remain dazed and confused and will misbehave in order to relieve himself of repressed energy.

Do him a really big favor and give him something on which to build a life because he has potential to have a life in which he can support himself and a family. He does not have the potential to learn about the world and its societies, or agriculture, or human sciences. He has the potential to learn repetitive tasks. He could probably learn basic mechanics, basic carpentry, and basic math (how to make change).

If you put this child into an educational setting that meets his abilities, your child will gain confidence and learn what it is to 'belong' and to succeed.

Medication and disability are not in his best interest. Please reconsider your path.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">