• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI amount not enough to pay rent (Florida)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FloridaSky

The SSI amount I am getting is $710. The cheapest rental apartment that I could find - $850. Now, the social security officer wants to impute income to me because my expenses are higher than my income. This imputed income will further reduce my SSI, and I will be even less able to afford it.

Where do people who get SSI live? There are no subsidized housing options that I could find in Miami. Are they all homeless here?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The SSI amount I am getting is $710. The cheapest rental apartment that I could find - $850. Now, the social security officer wants to impute income to me because my expenses are higher than my income. This imputed income will further reduce my SSI, and I will be even less able to afford it.

Where do people who get SSI live? There are no subsidized housing options that I could find in Miami. Are they all homeless here?
Where were you living before you were approved for SSI? :cool:

Proserpina

http://www.miamidade.gov/housing/apply-public-housing.asp

http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/communitydevelopment/pages/housing/multifamilyrental.asp

http://www.lowincomehousing.us/FL/miami.html

Onderzoek

Roommates, room rental, not so nice neighborhoods, small rural towns.

sandyclaus

People who have limited income soon come to realize that having a whole apartment on their own isn't realistic, unless they are lucky enough to receive some kind of housing subsidy that makes it affordable for them.

Time to start signing up for housing subsidies, which could take awhile due to the extensive waiting lists of others in the same boat being on them as well. In the meantime, learn to make ends meet and live within your means by seeking room rentals or house shares.

I would also suggest doing a bit of budgeting, given the fact that your expenses are already exceeding your current income. Learn what is and isn't a necessity. Apply for SNAP benefits to help you with your food costs, cut out all those extravagances that many on limited incomes can't afford, such as cable TV. Take public transportation whenever possible instead of making short trips in order to save on gas and vehicle maintenance.

trippy766

How do you manage?

That is ABSURD! How can you live off that? how much is your rent ?? $200.00 Your lucky your in FL because here in San Francisco you would be on the street? You must have additional help for other sources? :cool::eek: You need at least 1000.00 a month - like many people get. But again it depends on you disabilities.

Proserpina

That is ABSURD! How can you live off that? how much is your rent ?? $200.00 Your lucky your in FL because here in San Francisco you would be on the street? You must have additional help for other sources? :cool::eek: You need at least 1000.00 a month - like many people get. But again it depends on you disabilities.

Would you like to try again, this time in English?

OHRoadwarrior

Really? Since SSI does not pay that much to anyone, what country gives the disabled $1000 p/month?

Antigone*

Excellent first post:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I only stopped with the rolley eyes because the forum gods limited them.

Onderzoek

Doesn't depend on your disabilities at all. Depends on your work history. Earning more money in a job, having few to no adult years without good earnings, paying more taxes; that is what gets you a higher SSDI check. Getting SSI is a gift from the taxpayers since you don't have to work to qualify. SSI is designed to keep a person from being homeless and hungry.

Becoming disabled almost always means a low or low middle income lifestyle for the rest of your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">