• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI and child support questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jxk777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I became disabled in 2003. I have a daughter that I am supposed to be paying child support for. After many long years I finally got approved for SSI. They changed the onset date to 2007 because I didn't have much medical evidence. I had no health insurance and was not able to afford to see a doctor which is why I didn't have much proof. Now Child support is coming after me for back support even though I am disabled and on SSI, I haven't had any money to even support myself let alone pay for anything else. I was lucky that some friends took me in while I waited for the social security case to finally be approved, that's the only thing that kept me from being homeless. What can I do to stop this nightmare? Child support is taking me to court for felony non-payment of support even though I can't work and I am on SSI.

BL

If you're being taken to court for felony contempt , you should be appointed an Attorney to represent you .

In the meantime you might want to contact / write your local congresswomen to ask kindly if their office / or forward it to an appropriate office , to research any laws that might give you some relief .

I found this very helpful of their responses of legal remedies in the court of law.

Judges can come up with wordings that might give you some relief .

jxk777

What I don't understand is the prosecutor and the court knows I am on SSI. They know I am disabled and unable to work, why would they try to charge me with a felony when they know that this is beyond my control? I wish I could still work, I loved my job and I certainly loved making enough money to enjoy life. Now I'm getting so little I can't even buy clothes when they wear out. The money I get from SSI isn't even enough to cover rent and bills. I am going further in the hole each month and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Top this all off with the stress of being taken to court for a felony charge that was beyond my control and it makes my miserable life even more miserable. I don't need more stress in my life, I need help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">