• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssi for children with learning disabilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbenoit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ma
my ex just took me to court for contempt on non-payment of child advocate fees, these fees are due to the children having learning disabilities.. She recieves ssi for them for these disabilities, shouldnt the advocate fees be paid for with the ssi money? It was my understanding that is why she recieves the money. I dont believe i should have to pay these fees... Is there a way to have my child reevaluated, even though she has full legal custody?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

The distribution of childs SSI money is handled by the childs Representative Payee. Evidently they don't feel those expenses are due by the child or that the money is best spent elsewhere.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
my ex just took me to court for contempt on non-payment of child advocate fees, these fees are due to the children having learning disabilities.. She recieves ssi for them for these disabilities, shouldnt the advocate fees be paid for with the ssi money? It was my understanding that is why she recieves the money. I dont believe i should have to pay these fees...
Did the court order you to pay these fees? If yes, then it really doesn't matter if you "believe" you should pay these fees.

Onderzoek

my ex just took me to court for contempt on non-payment of child advocate fees, these fees are due to the children having learning disabilities.. She recieves ssi for them for these disabilities, shouldnt the advocate fees be paid for with the ssi money? It was my understanding that is why she recieves the money. I dont believe i should have to pay these fees... Is there a way to have my child reevaluated, even though she has full legal custody?
SSI is a welfare program and the first duty of the payee is to pay for food and shelter.

You want your child re-evaluated for what purpose? SSA will do a continuing disability review at some point to determine if the child is really even still disabled. If not checks stop. SSA will also do an income and resource review of the child and the custodial parent. If the custodial parent (or the spouse of the custodial parent) has too much income or resources, the checks stop. The custodial parent is supposed to be reporting the child support that the non-custodial parent pays. If your goal is to get even with her through SSI, you could send copies of the child support payments you have been making in case she hasn't reported them. That is, if you are paying child support.

SSI is not paid for purposes of paying a fee for someone else to 'advocate'. Not the reason SSI exists. Food and shelter and medical care. That is the reason SSI exists. Why don't you advocate for your children so there are no fees?

Proserpina

And further, if Mom has sole legal custody you cannot interfere at all with non-emergency medical care of the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">