• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/court fees questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamisaseam

What is the name of your state? WI

After reading the reply to DisabledonSSI, I have a question. I saw where Section 207 says, basically, SSI can't be levied, attatched, garnished, etc. It also says the funds are covered under Section 207 as long as they are identifiable as Social Security funds. I am also aware that an SSI recipient can't be assigned to pay spousal nor child support.

However, can they be ordered to pay other court/maintenance related costs, such as non-reimbursed insurance costs, guardian ad litem fees, non-insurance covered court ordered medical testing/counseling, court costs, etc? Are these different from support payments or, because they're related to the same issue, considered the same?

My husband's SSI check is direct deposited to a bank account. Once there it is sent via ACH/EBT to pay monthly bills (house payment, electric, heat, phone, savings for taxes). There's no extra. We don't deposit anything else into this account and don't take anything out until tax time.

I'm well aware that the court can order someone on SSI to pay a speeding ticket as quickly as anyone else. You're not exempt from the law simply based on where your check is sent from. However, the wording here has me wondering and I want to be sure I understand it correctly before I go contacting my husband's attorney on Monday with a bunch of unnecessary questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and, hopefully, answer my questions!

BL

What is the name of your state? WI

After reading the reply to DisabledonSSI, I have a question. I saw where Section 207 says, basically, SSI can't be levied, attatched, garnished, etc. It also says the funds are covered under Section 207 as long as they are identifiable as Social Security funds. I am also aware that an SSI recipient can't be assigned to pay spousal nor child support.

However, can they be ordered to pay other court/maintenance related costs, such as non-reimbursed insurance costs, guardian ad litem fees, non-insurance covered court ordered medical testing/counseling, court costs, etc?
Courts take into consideration an SSI recipients income ( usually on the first appearance ) for the purposes of what it Will order.

Are these different from support payments or, because they're related to the same issue, considered the same?
My State has a minimum for Child Support orders of $25.00 per Mo. It may have gone up to $50 for a person with little or no income ( regardless if it's SSI ) .

It would depend on State Law and their guidelines

My husband's SSI check is direct deposited to a bank account. Once there it is sent via ACH/EBT to pay monthly bills (house payment, electric, heat, phone, savings for taxes). There's no extra. We don't deposit anything else into this account and don't take anything out until tax time.

I'm well aware that the court can order someone on SSI to pay a speeding ticket as quickly as anyone else. You're not exempt from the law simply based on where your check is sent from. However, the wording here has me wondering and I want to be sure I understand it correctly before I go contacting my husband's attorney on Monday with a bunch of unnecessary questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and, hopefully, answer my questions!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">