• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI cut payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ybusel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi there. My parents SSI payment has been cut by almost 25%. Social Security is saying that they are benefiting from living with me ( I m the owner of the house). Their argument - that otherwise they would not be able to live in the house like that ( the house is 2 bedroom in San Francisco Lakeside community). So, they are left with little money for food and other stuff. I know that they have right for appeal, but the SS person said flat out - they are going to be denied. So i m wondering, what are my parents options to restore their payment, if there are any?

Thank you, Yevgeniy

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi there. My parents SSI payment has been cut by almost 25%. Social Security is saying that they are benefiting from living with me ( I m the owner of the house). Their argument - that otherwise they would not be able to live in the house like that ( the house is 2 bedroom in San Francisco Lakeside community). So, they are left with little money for food and other stuff. I know that they have right for appeal, but the SS person said flat out - they are going to be denied. So i m wondering, what are my parents options to restore their payment, if there are any?

Thank you, Yevgeniy

Read here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-living-arrangements.htm

OHRoadwarrior

The fact is the worker is correct. They are deriving a financial rent subsidy from you. You could of course draw a rental contract, obtain a rental occupancy permit and pay taxes on the money they pay you for rent. It will likely cost more than the current situation and will subject you and them to closer ongoing scrutiny.

commentator

Do your parents not qualify for food stamps, since they are on SSI? You say they don't have money for food and other stuff. If they are getting an income based SSI assistance, they should at least qualify for some other benefits.

Proserpina

Do your parents not qualify for food stamps, since they are on SSI? You say they don't have money for food and other stuff. If they are getting an income based SSI assistance, they should at least qualify for some other benefits.

If you're on SSI in California, you won't qualify for SNAP - CA already supplements the SSI payment in lieu of SNAP.

Onderzoek

One of the hardest concepts to understand in SSI is in-kind income. There have been papers written up and lots of policy papers and discussions.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n4/v68n4p15.html

Bottom line is that SSI is designed to provide an elderly or disabled person with a modest lifestyle because they can't provide it for themselves. If they have family members or friends who want them to have a better life or a nicer home than they can afford on their own, then the 1/3 reduction (federal only) reduces the amount of government assistance since the family is providing it.

San Francisco is known for its expensive housing as well as generous public assistance. Your parents might have to move into some senior apartment in a less nice neighborhood that they can afford. Or, you can continue to honor your parents by providing them with a nicer place to live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">