• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ssi and fed govt medical retirement cancels each other

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpyL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

I am a 100% disabled vet. I was also medically retired from the civil service due to my disabilities that are linked to my military time. Once i was Medically retired from the fed gov. 6 months later i started to receive ssi for the same disabilities i was retired for and that the va is Compensating me. 2-3 years after i was medically retired i got a letter from the federal gov saying they were reducing my medical retirement the amount of my ssi.

My question is can i get it changed?? They say it is double dipping but i paid into ssi as well into my retirement.. If i paid into both why are they reducing my retirement pay the ssi amount.

Thank you in advance

commentator

Do you mean SSI (which is a needs based program) or Social Security disability? If you received a needs based payment, now that you're no longer in need, they'll be getting that money back from the back pay for your VA money. What would be wrong with them doing that? You weren't entitled to that money because you paid it in, you were entitled to it because your income was very low and you were not able to get approved for Social Security disability.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa

I am a 100% disabled vet. I was also medically retired from the civil service due to my disabilities that are linked to my military time. Once i was Medically retired from the fed gov. 6 months later i started to receive ssi for the same disabilities i was retired for and that the va is Compensating me. 2-3 years after i was medically retired i got a letter from the federal gov saying they were reducing my medical retirement the amount of my ssi.

My question is can i get it changed?? They say it is double dipping but i paid into ssi as well into my retirement.. If i paid into both why are they reducing my retirement pay the ssi amount.

Thank you in advance
I'm not sure,but you could try going in person taking all your award documents and associated letters to you local VA office and speak to a representative there.

I do beleive though your only allowed a certain amount with either one or both entitlements of monitary amount .

OHRoadwarrior

It appears the offset is between FERS and SSDI. Here is an explanation from Cornell Univ. prepared for Congress.

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1501&context=key_workplace

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">