• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI help me please understand my hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gerilynns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.I live in California I just got approved for SSI (due to gastric issues and back injury) but denied for SSDI because I do not work enough into it. I am very low income, actually on General Assistance and receive housing assistance through section 8. Last year, I divorced my husband. We have not been together for quite a few years. He is 46, working full time. Does this affect what I get in SSi because we were married for over 11 years? And would I get the full amount SSI pays in California (877)?
Also the judge approved me drom my onset date (backpay?) Aug, 2011, but they said my condition was considered disabled as of 2007?? I am very confused and I have nobody to ask and have not been contacted yet by SSI.. Can somebody help me clarify what's going to happen or what I should say or do? My county advocate seemed upset I did not get SSDI but was pleased I got the SSI part.
My aplication was orginally in 2010 denied. Now that I got approved I have nobody to ask these questions. The county advocate was not able to explain any of this . I tried asking help after words and she didn't. I don't mean to be stupid but I'm confused and need clarification and thank you for any help!
Approval date at court was April 1,2014, Bless you and thank you for any thoughts. I have been alone with this since I applied in 2010.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Your husband will have no effect on this. You should receive back pay from 8/11. Spend it promptly to stay below the resource threshold level.

BL

If you have wquestions about the amount of time to spend down ( could be 30 days ) and what the amount(s) could be used for ,contact SSA .( A call or visit to your local SSA is better to get informed ), although I'm sure a very knowlegable poster here will come along with answers and explainations.

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.I live in California I just got approved for SSI (due to gastric issues and back injury) but denied for SSDI because I do not work enough into it. I am very low income, actually on General Assistance and receive housing assistance through section 8. Last year, I divorced my husband. We have not been together for quite a few years. He is 46, working full time. Does this affect what I get in SSi because we were married for over 11 years? And would I get the full amount SSI pays in California (877)?
Also the judge approved me drom my onset date (backpay?) Aug, 2011, but they said my condition was considered disabled as of 2007?? I am very confused and I have nobody to ask and have not been contacted yet by SSI.. Can somebody help me clarify what's going to happen or what I should say or do? My county advocate seemed upset I did not get SSDI but was pleased I got the SSI part.
My aplication was orginally in 2010 denied. Now that I got approved I have nobody to ask these questions. The county advocate was not able to explain any of this . I tried asking help after words and she didn't. I don't mean to be stupid but I'm confused and need clarification and thank you for any help!
Approval date at court was April 1,2014, Bless you and thank you for any thoughts. I have been alone with this since I applied in 2010.
What is the date of the WRITTEN decision? Without a written decision, you do not have an approved claim yet and no one can process it for payment.

After the decision is written, it will be sent to your local office and assigned to someone who is supposed to process the claim for payment in 45 days. So, after the decision is written, you should receive your first check within 30-60 days, but only after your local office interviews you. You will need to provide proof of where you have been living and dates and how you supported yourself or what help you got from others.

If your application date is 8/11, then SSI payment are potentially payable back to 9/11. Your General Assistance will not be considered income for SSI but your county will be reimbursed for what they paid you while waiting for SSI. You would have signed an agreement to this effect. You will not get any past due benefits until after the county is reimbursed. Then you should get your first installment and your attorney will be paid if you had one. That whole process takes about 60-90 days from the date of the written decision. Expecting it to go faster than that is asking for frustration.

Whether you get California does add $156.40 to the federal benefit, but whether or not you get the $721 federal (2014 amounts) depends upon whether or not you have been paying rent where you have been living. That will be determined at the interview.

What do you say? The truth.

When you are age 62, SSI will require that you apply for retirement and then it will be determined if you can get any money as a divorced spouse. Probably good idea to save your marriage certificate and divorce decree (from any marriages).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">