• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI income audit request ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dan10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've been receiving Social Security Disability since 1999, along with supplemental security income. My wife also gets SSI because of a disability and our two children receive a few hundred dollars for in Social Security. I am increasingly frustrated with the social security administration because it seems they can never get it right...ie It seems we are always being overpaid or underpaid. Right now we are paying off an SSI overpayment for a short-term job I worked back in 2007 (because they decided to audit us and sock us with an overpayment bill), eventhough my income at the time was reported to the social security administration, who knew exactly how much I got each month. Now we are being billed for "not reporting" my income at the time, because they claim they sent us a letter regarding the matter, and which we never contested of course be because we don't believe we got the letter.

Now they are telling us that they don't have a record of our last son that was born a little over a year ago even though we have been getting social security check for him. Who knows what repercussions that is going to have.

During my last review, the worker I spoke to wrote down that I've bee receiving 1000 dollars per month from a business I've been developing, even though I told him clearly that I hadn't made profit yet. I called the Social Security Administration and had to correct the issue. HOPEFULLY the correction stuck and I'm not going to be billed for an overpayment that did not occur.

Ultimately, every case worker I speak with has a different story of how the system works, it's insane.

Can I request an audit of our payment/income history in order to avoid being billed for over payments that never occurred ? I'm really sick of dealing with the social security administration's mistakes and I'm tried of worrying about them sticking us with an overpayment bill costing us potentially thousands of dollars.

I would appreciate sound advice about how to proceed. I don't want to hear any jive coming from self-righteous sticklers or trolls, which their seem to be a lot of regarding problems with the social security administration.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I've been receiving Social Security Disability since 1999, along with supplemental security income. My wife also gets SSI because of a disability and our two children receive a few hundred dollars for in Social Security. I am increasingly frustrated with the social security administration because it seems they can never get it right...ie It seems we are always being overpaid or underpaid. Right now we are paying off an SSI overpayment for a short-term job I worked back in 2007, in which my income at the time was reported to the social security administration, who knew exactly how much I got each month. Now we are being billed for "not reporting" my income at the time, because they claim they sent us a letter regarding the matter, and which we never contested of course be because we don't believe we got the letter.

Now they are telling us that they don't have a record of our last son that was born a little over a year ago even though we have been getting social security check for him. Who knows what repercussions that is going to have.

During my last review, the worker I spoke to wrote down that I've bee receiving 1000 dollars per month from a business I've been developing, even though I told him clearly that I hadn't made profit yet. I called the Social Security Administration and had to correct the issue. HOPEFULLY the correction stuck and I'm not going to be billed for an overpayment that did not occur.

Ultimately, every case worker I speak with has a different story of how the system works, it's insane.

Can I request an audit of our payment/income history in order to avoid being billed for over payments that never occurred ? I'm really sick of dealing with the social security administration's mistakes and I'm tried of worrying about them sticking us with an overpayment bill costing us potentially thousands of dollars.

I would appreciate sound advice about how to proceed. I don't want to hear any jive coming from self-righteous sticklers or trolls, which their seem to be a lot of regarding problems with the social security administration.

I feel your pain!

My DH's late wife was also receiving SSI - and there were days when they received letters (dated the same day), one saying they'd been underpaid and the other saying they'd been overpaid!

Now, delete that last line. It's antagonistic and many volunteers will just turn away.

That aside, you can request an accounting. Stop talking to the people who answer the phones - go further, way above them.
But ultimately? It's just the nature of SSA. They're massively overworked and underfunded.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would you report an income of $1,000 per month from a business that is taking a loss?

Dan10

Why would you report an income of $1,000 per month from a business that is taking a loss?
I don't know what you're talking about. I never reported that I've made 1,000 dollars per month. Maybe you should read the post again. The stupid worker just marked it down that I made that much, even though I made it clear to him that, at the time, I was working at a loss.

Proserpina

I don't know what you're talking about. I never reported that I've made 1,000 dollars per month. Maybe you should read the post again. The stupid worker just marked it down that I made that much, even though I made it clear to him that, at the time, I was working at a loss.

You should probably knock off the attitude if you want help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The worker wrote down what you stated.

I know you're frustrated, but the attitude you're taking with us (and, likely, the government) is not going to help you.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What "attitude"?
Alrighty then. :cool:

commentator

Right now we are paying off an SSI overpayment for a short-term job I worked back in 2007 (because they decided to audit us and sock us with an overpayment bill), eventhough my income at the time was reported to the social security administration, who knew exactly how much I got each month. Now we are being billed for "not reporting" my income at the time, because they claim they sent us a letter regarding the matter, and which we never contested of course be because we don't believe we got the letter.

SSI is income based. If you worked a job without reporting that income to the SSI system, not just assuming that it was reported through the social security administration because of payroll taxes, then the overpayment was fully in order. The two systems do cross match, and they did eventually find out about the work, but if you did not report it at the time and you were receiving income based payments (SSI), that was something you could not contest, because if your income was different from what they had reported, SSI is an income based program, then you very well did get an overpayment. One that you avoided, it sounds like, (we never got the letter!) until they finally worked it through and charged you with an overpayment.

Quite frankly, you can receive an accounting of both the systems, but it sounds like you believe SSI and the SSDI are the same people, same office, same system, they should manage your business between them, and you are mad at both of them. Going in with that kind of attitude is unproductive.

Apparently there was some sort of misunderstanding between what you told the caseworker and what they heard about your small business (and showing a loss for tax purposes at the end of the year is not the same as not making anything at all) If it pays you nothing, costs you money to do it, its not a business, it's a hobby. If you're not making anything, why would you do it, just for fun? If you make money during a month, regardless of whether it's a profit overall, it's money you made. You don't get to deduct your expenses from your profits before reporting it.

I think they are charging you for overpayments that do occur, you just didn't understand the process, are being rather sketchy about reporting things.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">