• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/Inheritances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stucklikechuck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina. Does anyone know if I get SSI approved what happens if I get an inheritance from my parents?

OHRoadwarrior

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/effects-of-an-inheritance-on-ssi-benefits

It will affect your benefits in the month received. It can disqualify you for future months, if your assets exceed $2000. What kind of inheritance are you talking about? Money, property etc... Be specific.

stucklikechuck

Yes, Thank You! I am talking basicly money, I am not aware of any property. Do you know what would happen if someone on SSI would win a large lottery (powerball,megamillions game)?

sandyclaus

Yes, Thank You! I am talking basicly money, I am not aware of any property. Do you know what would happen if someone on SSI would win a large lottery (powerball,megamillions game)?
A lottery prize would count as income.

And seriously - if you won a large lottery prize, why would you need SSI? You could pay for your own living and medical expenses out of your OWN pocket instead of expecting the government to keep paying for you.

Onderzoek

The lottery winnings or the inheritance doesn't even have to be large. It all counts as income for SSI. And if you don't report it, you will likely be overpaid when SSI finds out. And they have ways of finding out eventually. You can also be sanctioned for six months of non-payment for failure to report.

SSI is a welfare program. All money affects it. Always will. SSI is the supplement to your other money, not the other way.

stucklikechuck

stucklikechuck thanks you!

To all who answered.... thank you! As we start this new year, I have decided to go do SSI. I have been diagnosed as depressive/schizophrenic. I have the documentation. It goes back to 1986 when I had to do a 2 yr. live-in residential treatment program. I won't get into the whole story. I am homeless. I am, and I can't see it because I think I am OK, but I am dysfunctional. My parents are still alive, and I can't tell them what I am about to do. It goes against the grain, so to speak!

Onderzoek

To all who answered.... thank you! As we start this new year, I have decided to go do SSI. I have been diagnosed as depressive/schizophrenic. I have the documentation. It goes back to 1986 when I had to do a 2 yr. live-in residential treatment program. I won't get into the whole story. I am homeless. I am, and I can't see it because I think I am OK, but I am dysfunctional. My parents are still alive, and I can't tell them what I am about to do. It goes against the grain, so to speak!
Try to get the application submitted before the end of January since there is no retroactivity on SSI before the month of filing. Start online. Finish in your local office. Your 1986 medical information for SSI is not even close to being as important as your 2011 and 2012 medical information.

When did you stop work and how much work did you do before that? It is also possible that you could have enough credits for SSDI.

stucklikechuck

Stucklikechuck work history

Try to get the application submitted before the end of January since there is no retroactivity on SSI before the month of filing. Start online. Finish in your local office. Your 1986 medical information for SSI is not even close to being as important as your 2011 and 2012 medical information.

When did you stop work and how much work did you do before that? It is also possible that you could have enough credits for SSDI.
I have worked since I was about 18 years old. I stopped work (income reported to S.S.) in Nov. 2012. As far as SSDI I had hernia surgery July 2005 and have lived with back pain since the age of !8. Had to go to the emergency room new year's day 3 years ago it was so bad that time! Don't know if I would qualify for that or not!

Onderzoek

It is now the 17th of January. You can file an SSDI claim online as well as the disability report and you should do it before the end of January. Social Security takes months and months just to get a yes or no. You don't want to add to that time. Submit that. Your local office will then contact you for the SSI claim. Focus on medical evidence from 2012 and possibly 2011, not 1986 since you have been working until 11/12. That is when your condition stopped you from working.

commentator

Not at all sure this person grasps the concept of being disabled for SSI or SSDI purposes. He definitely does need to start the process though! Immediately without figuring out all the ins and outs and what ifs? What if I win the lottery! Oh boy, I love that one! He'll need a little medical support for his claims, but getting the claim filed is the most important step.

stucklikechuck

Onderzoek... thank you from stucklikechuck

It is now the 17th of January. You can file an SSDI claim online as well as the disability report and you should do it before the end of January. Social Security takes months and months just to get a yes or no. You don't want to add to that time. Submit that. Your local office will then contact you for the SSI claim. Focus on medical evidence from 2012 and possibly 2011, not 1986 since you have been working until 11/12. That is when your condition stopped you from working.
Onderzoek,
Just wanted to take a minute and thank you. Your reply is the best one! I am going to go ahead and file the claim, yes, and get the process started. I really should have done this a long time ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">