• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI letter in mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisarenh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Hello,

My daughter is 6 1/2 yrs old and has received SSI since she was 6 months old due to her disability. We've never had any issues. Today I received a letter in the mail saying that we need to have a phone interview (a month from now) because they received info from computer matching with the state reported wage?? What exactly does this mean??? Nothing has changed for our family or income..

Thanks so much!!

LdiJ

Hello,

My daughter is 6 1/2 yrs old and has received SSI since she was 6 months old due to her disability. We've never had any issues. Today I received a letter in the mail saying that we need to have a phone interview (a month from now) because they received info from computer matching with the state reported wage?? What exactly does this mean??? Nothing has changed for our family or income..

Thanks so much!!
It would be helpful if you could quote the entire paragraph of the letter, rather than paraphrasing it...however, it sounds to me like someone is reporting wages under your daughter's social security number.

Just Blue

Hello,

Thanks so much!!
I would "guess" that your childs SS# has been used by another person. But this is a "guess".

Honestly, call them and FIND OUT what is the issue. It may also be just a "review".

Let us know,

Best of luck:)
Blue

Just Blue

It would be helpful if you could quote the entire paragraph of the letter, rather than paraphrasing it...however, it sounds to me like someone is reporting wages under your daughter's social security number.
Ahhh...LD was too quick to the trigger!! :)

Lisarenh

the actual paragraph says

"we received information from computer matching with the state reported wage. Since this info may affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount, we would like to discuss with you. Under the computer-matching law, we cannot use this info to change your SSI until we give you 30 days to disagree with it. Computer matching compares our records with those of other agencies. It helps to determine if you are eligible for SSI and how much we can pay you. When you come in please bring requested information listed below"

There is nothing listed below, and on page one it says to have documentation from January 2011.

tranquility

Hello,

Thanks so much!!
It means some computer somewhere matched some number that does not comport with what they expect and are going to ask you about it. The main issues are probably, there is a mistake, there is something easily explainable, you're missing something that could be income, or there is some identity theft.

Edit:
If there is nothing listed, call them and ask before your interview if there is any information they require.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
the actual paragraph says

"we received information from computer matching with the state reported wage. Since this info may affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount, we would like to discuss with you. Under the computer-matching law, we cannot use this info to change your SSI until we give you 30 days to disagree with it. Computer matching compares our records with those of other agencies. It helps to determine if you are eligible for SSI and how much we can pay you. When you come in please bring requested information listed below"

There is nothing listed below, and on page one it says to have documentation from January 2011.
Call them...immediately. It sounds like your daughter may be a victim of identity theft :(

Lisarenh

I've called them several times and have left several messages and of course nobody is calling back. The interview is set up for February 19th, which is not anytime soon.

Thanks for your replies!

Lisarenh

Okay, I will just sit my butt in the office tomorrow. She is 6 years old, so she's not working (Obviously) She's severely disabled and we depend on this for her medicines etc.. Ugh. so frustrating.

Thanks

Just Blue

Okay, I will just sit my butt in the office tomorrow. She is 6 years old, so she's not working (Obviously) She's severely disabled and we depend on this for her medicines etc.. Ugh. so frustrating.

Thanks
I know. It is annoying. But one must do what is best for our children. Been there and done it Hon.

Good luck and I hope this is resolved quickly for you and your child.

Blue

:)

BTW: If this DOES turn out to be an I.D theft...You will need to report this to the police and any and all other agencies to resolve this.

sigh.

I really hope this work out well for you

B

Onderzoek

It could also be your SSN or her father's SSN that has the computer match. It could match info from your state or from the IRS. It could be that the computer matching compared what you reported to SSA with what your employer reported to your state and the amounts are not the same.

I suggest waiting for the appointment and bringing all your pay stubs and her father's pay stubs for the period of review.

It is also possible that someone somewhere worked at a company and the employer reported the earnings under your daughter's Social Security number. Happens frequently. By the time SSA may discover it, the report is almost a year old. There is practically nothing that SSA can do to stop someone from illegally using anyone's Social Security number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">