• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssi and marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freedom111

What is the name of your state? I am in california. I was just wonderin if it was true that if I get married, I will loose a chunk of my ssi. :confused:

Whyte Noise

Once you're married, the SSA can deem your spouses income to you.

If your spouses income is high enough it can reduce your benefits, OR eliminate them completely.

J

jocelynac

For certain, any ssa survivors benefits stop when you get married.If, however, for any reason your marriage should end, benefits can be applied for again. Children's benefits do not end because of a marriage.

Last edited:

freedom111

I get dissability, but I was wonderin if They would cut off my dissability if I get married. And if they do, does that mean that people on dissability can never get married?

Whyte Noise

SSI is a needs-based program for people over 65, or those are blind or disabled. It's like Welfare, therefore your income and resources are considered in determining your benefits. If you have SSI, then your husband's income could impact those benefits.

SSD is NOT needs-based. It is based on your prior work history, monies earned, taxes paid, etc. They do NOT count spouses income, or your resources in order to figure your benefits, therefore benefits would not be affected by marriage.

You say you get "social security", so I'm assuming that you mean SSDI (Social Security Disability Benefits) and not SSI (Supplemental Security Income). If you do, in fact, only receive the SSDI, then no... your spouses income won't affect your benefit amount.

freedom111

I'm not sure if I get ssi or ssdi. I get dissability because I am bi-polar, anxietys, an have other mental probs. So does this mean I would loose my benifits?? My future husband is low income too, he is blue collar, so I was just curious as to how much I would loose? I dunno if it is worth gettin married.

Shay-Pari'e

freedom111 said:
I'm not sure if I get ssi or ssdi. I get dissability because I am bi-polar, anxietys, an have other mental probs. So does this mean I would loose my benifits?? My future husband is low income too, he is blue collar, so I was just curious as to how much I would loose? I dunno if it is worth gettin married.
Worth getting married? People just need to look up all your posts, because you are one strange person.

Whyte Noise

freedom111 said:
You need to find out which type of benefits you receive. You say you get "disability", so I'm inclined to think that it's SSD. I get disability as well, but I also get SSI. That's why I wanted to know which benefits you're actually getting. Marriage and your spouses income won't affect SSD, but it WILL affect SSI.

Call 1-800-772-1213 and speak to a representative and ask them which benefit you're getting.... SSI or SSD. Come back here and post their answer, and then you'll have your answer

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

freedom111 said:
I get dissability because I am bi-polar, anxietys, an have other mental probs.

My response:

Wow! What a "catch". You sound like the marrying kind to me!

Make sure to wear your adult diapers on your wedding day. We wouldn't want you to piss your wedding outfit. You know how those anticipatory anxieties affect you, and puddles at the alter are so . . . embarrassing.

"Dearly beloved (drip, drip) we are gathered here today (peeeee) in the eyes of God (sploooooge) to join these people as husband and wife (sprayyyyyyy). . . ."

IAAL

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

IAAL,
You forgot, her hubby to be is in Jail.

This wedding will take place in the dank confinds of a jail.

So he will be real low income and "blue collared"

But I think she has her own court dates coming up in the future also........

Being bi-polar is not a get out of jail freedom ticket!

S

sweetielove

SSI and marriage

Freedom111, my sister-in-law was getting SSI, which I think you get if you don't have enough work credits,(in other words, you can't draw what you've put in cause you haven't put in enough) anyway, they finally denied her, because they said my brother was making too much. I live with my boyfriend and I am tring to get on disability and they said I most likely won't get it cause he makes too much!!! I thought if we weren't married, they couldn't count his income. Like the others said, I'd check first (if you haven't already) and see exactly which one ou are on.

faerie131978

Disability and Marriage

I am a 27 year old woman living in WI. I am currently on social security disability through my own record but hope to be off it in the future. My boyfriend is 32 and has severe hemophilia. he is on disability and has never worked. We worry that if we wanted to live together or get married that it would mess up his benefits. There is no way that we could afford his blood products that he needs---which costs 15,000-20,000 dollars each month---right now 3 sources help him afford them=Medicaid/care, another govt. program, and also his tribe-he is part Mohican and lives on a reservation).
What can we do? I am so saddened if we could never live together or be married. Is there anything to do? Please help!!!

serenitynpeace

SSI & marriage

I know that you should not be married if your partner has SSI, but if divorce is the way to go then is it also a must to live in separate apartments?:(

CourtClerk

I also know that this thread is 3 years and 5 months old practically....

Please don't resurrect old threads. READ the date of the thread before you reply. Shoot, the last response to the thread was a year ago and again, by someone who resurrected a very old thread.

Skywalker7

Washington State

Alright, so here's my situation, I live in Washington State. My girlfriend receives SSI. I'm working full-time, but I'm only making minimum wage. If we get married, which we're eventually planning to do, will she lose any of her SSI even if I'm making only $13,000 a year? I want to know because there is no way we would ever make it with just my income. Any help would definately be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">