• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI - Marriage and Spouse's Income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rms610

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Hello, I've tried searching the internet and have yet to find relevant/updated information so I thought I would find a place to ask my specific question.

I receive SSI, Medicaid, and Food Stamp benefits. My fiance (of 6 years) and I finally want to get married, but we are worried I may lose my benefits if we do. I can't find any information on how much he can make before I lose/get reduced benefits. As of right now he makes VERY little, I actually get more than him from SSI than he does in his monthly check (About $500, sometimes less.)

So will I lose my SSI? I'm aware I may lose my some/all foodstamps, and possibly Medicaid. But here is another thing, up until now I have been living with my grandparents, barely paying out much for 'rent'. My fiance and I just got our own place so now I will be paying MUCH more out of my income towards new bills, rent, etc. I'm wondering if these new payments will offset how much I could lose? Any info is appreciated, thank you for reading my post.

rms610

All of those programs are needs based and tied to the total income coming into the home.
Yep I'm aware of this, which is why I'm worried in the first place haha. But I'm hoping to find out more about amounts. How much he can earn before I lose? And how much I could lose based on that number? etc..

(Edit)

I'm also curious because while I was living with my grandparents I was getting about $17 in foodstamps. After a while I started paying them $80 a month to help with bills/rent and my foodstamps went up a whole lot. How are the amounts that I get determined? I don't really know how to figure things because it's not like I will only be gaining his income, I also now have all these new things to pay for that I have never had previously.

Last edited:

BL

Yep I'm aware of this, which is why I'm worried in the first place haha. But I'm hoping to find out more about amounts. How much he can earn before I lose? And how much I could lose based on that number? etc..

(Edit)

I'm also curious because while I was living with my grandparents I was getting about $17 in foodstamps. After a while I started paying them $80 a month to help with bills/rent and my foodstamps went up a whole lot. How are the amounts that I get determined? I don't really know how to figure things because it's not like I will only be gaining his income, I also now have all these new things to pay for that I have never had previously.
Firstly ,you do not necessarily have to be married for SSA to recognize you are .

If you live and present yourself as a couple SSA can figure things as if you were .

In other words if you want to keep financials separate co-occupant and split the bills -do not buy meals and eat meals together . ;)

Now I can not tell you how much your SSI would decrease but most likely by about $200 to $250 or more and I'm not sure about medical and FS's if you do marry or SSA figures you are .

Lots of folks continue living together co-occupying ,saying they are not a couple ,that they buy and prepare meals separately , so they can keep/have more income/benefits.

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Hello, I've tried searching the internet and have yet to find relevant/updated information so I thought I would find a place to ask my specific question.

I receive SSI, Medicaid, and Food Stamp benefits. My fiance (of 6 years) and I finally want to get married, but we are worried I may lose my benefits if we do. I can't find any information on how much he can make before I lose/get reduced benefits. As of right now he makes VERY little, I actually get more than him from SSI than he does in his monthly check (About $500, sometimes less.)

So will I lose my SSI? I'm aware I may lose my some/all foodstamps, and possibly Medicaid. But here is another thing, up until now I have been living with my grandparents, barely paying out much for 'rent'. My fiance and I just got our own place so now I will be paying MUCH more out of my income towards new bills, rent, etc. I'm wondering if these new payments will offset how much I could lose? Any info is appreciated, thank you for reading my post.
Here's the chapter

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501320400

Complicated stuff.

Gross unearned income (non-wage) of $500 per month - deemed income would be $183 so SSI would go down that much.

Gross earned income (wages) of $500 per month - deemed income would be zero.

If there are children being supported by your spouse, these numbers would not be correct. Don't know enough about CT state supp so I can't give you a number about when SSI would be reduced to zero. Again depends if the money is from earned income sources (wages) or other unearned income sources (unemployment, gifts, pensions, etc.)

rms610

Here's the chapter

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501320400

Complicated stuff.

Gross unearned income (non-wage) of $500 per month - deemed income would be $183 so SSI would go down that much.

Gross earned income (wages) of $500 per month - deemed income would be zero.

If there are children being supported by your spouse, these numbers would not be correct. Don't know enough about CT state supp so I can't give you a number about when SSI would be reduced to zero. Again depends if the money is from earned income sources (wages) or other unearned income sources (unemployment, gifts, pensions, etc.)

Nope no kids.. the 500/month is wages, and sometimes that goes up or down by a little bit. (My fiance teaches martial arts) So it's not money being handed to him. If I understood your post right, are you saying that since the 500 are wages, then I wouldn't lose anything? I know this is all generalization, but if that's the case then I'm very relieved. I have to call my social worker at some point to get everything straightened out, but I wanted to at least have a little info before I go in so I don't accidentally somehow have my assistance taken away on accident due to incorrect info. Thanks all for the replies.

BL

Nope no kids.. the 500/month is wages, and sometimes that goes up or down by a little bit. (My fiance teaches martial arts) So it's not money being handed to him. If I understood your post right, are you saying that since the 500 are wages, then I wouldn't lose anything? I know this is all generalization, but if that's the case then I'm very relieved. I have to call my social worker at some point to get everything straightened out, but I wanted to at least have a little info before I go in so I don't accidentally somehow have my assistance taken away on accident due to incorrect info. Thanks all for the replies.
If you don't want to jeopardize your assistance be very careful of what you tell SSA .

If you go in like we are living together and plan to marry , you might as well be married in SSA's eyes .

See my prior post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">