• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI not giving me enough to survive!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? South Florida

I was qualified for the SSI disability program and I am receiving checks each month but my complaint is that their not giving me enough. I sent a complaint to President Bushes office and sent me a letter back saying that I couldn't get anymore because I live in a house, of which I do not even OWN! It's my fathers! My father was laid off from Motorola few years ago and couldn't find work since then until recently. He is getting less than what he was getting at Motorola... He isn't really supporting me because he has too many bills to pay. SSI refuses to increase my check.... I get 380 dollars each month.... I live in Florida... Can anybody explain to me how i can manage to survive with this much?!??! This means shelter, food, clothes, etc?!?!?!??! I am thinking about finding myself a lawyer ( hopefully a public one since i cannot afford a private lawyer) to have it increased... I know somebody who gets 500 dollars per a month and they live with their parents!!!!

The good thing about my SSI is that I was qualified for food stamps and a very good health insurance :)

BL

Geisterhund said:
What is the name of your state? South Florida

I was qualified for the SSI disability program and I am receiving checks each month but my complaint is that their not giving me enough. I sent a complaint to President Bushes office and sent me a letter back saying that I couldn't get anymore because I live in a house, of which I do not even OWN! It's my fathers! My father was laid off from Motorola few years ago and couldn't find work since then until recently. He is getting less than what he was getting at Motorola... He isn't really supporting me because he has too many bills to pay. SSI refuses to increase my check.... I get 380 dollars each month.... I live in Florida... Can anybody explain to me how i can manage to survive with this much?!??! This means shelter, food, clothes, etc?!?!?!??! I am thinking about finding myself a lawyer ( hopefully a public one since i cannot afford a private lawyer) to have it increased... I know somebody who gets 500 dollars per a month and they live with their parents!!!!

The good thing about my SSI is that I was qualified for food stamps and a very good health insurance :)
Well I imagine if you found your own place ( a rental ) , SSA might increase it .

Of $300.00 per month , how do you expect to pay a Lawyer ?

Some State's have different cost of Living allowances .

Delete

Even if you were to fight it, you wouldn't get much more. Maybe 100 extra if you're lucky.

Did you tell them you DON'T pay rent or any of the bills? That might've been where you screwed up.

I live with my mom and told them I pay some rent and for my own electric and I get $487 a month..which is around the average for SSDI anyway.

Try and use it wisely. Do you really need new clothes every month? Shop at sales, get as much out of the food stamps as you can..etc. Working for me. I even manage to save some. :)

Finding your own place won't help either. Even with Section 8 and those housing programs, they take a certain percentage out of your income and you'll be left with even LESS than you're complaining of now. I looked into it and its why I decided to stay where I'm at.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

Delete said:
Even if you were to fight it, you wouldn't get much more. Maybe 100 extra if you're lucky.

Did you tell them you DON'T pay rent or any of the bills? That might've been where you screwed up.

I live with my mom and told them I pay some rent and for my own electric and I get $487 a month..which is around the average for SSDI anyway.

Try and use it wisely. Do you really need new clothes every month? Shop at sales, get as much out of the food stamps as you can..etc. Working for me. I even manage to save some. :)

Finding your own place won't help either. Even with Section 8 and those housing programs, they take a certain percentage out of your income and you'll be left with even LESS than you're complaining of now. I looked into it and its why I decided to stay where I'm at.
So you are screwing the system and it comes out of my pocket?

I

itsacatsworld

If you have a computer and internet access I as a taxpayer dont want to hear you complaining about not getting enough free money!!!!

Shay-Pari'e

Delete
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2005

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been on SSDI for a few years and I used to sell on Ebay. Ebay doesn't ask for your social security number, so there's really no way for it to be traced anyway. The only think you could get screwed on is if you keep depositing what you make in your bank account and it gets over $2,000

YEP, we are paying for it folks.

Delete

Hmm. I don't see how I'm really screwing the system by not wasting money on new clothes each month and wasting it on junk food and other things that aren't needed. ;)

But if I am somehow screwing the system.. too bad. :rolleyes:

I

itsacatsworld

Yea too bad your going to screw your self living on peanuts. What goes around comes around. I hope they revoke your bus pass for being stupid.

Delete

--PARIDISE-- said:
Delete
Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2005

I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been on SSDI for a few years and I used to sell on Ebay. Ebay doesn't ask for your social security number, so there's really no way for it to be traced anyway. The only think you could get screwed on is if you keep depositing what you make in your bank account and it gets over $2,000

YEP, we are paying for it folks.
Yeah, kind of sad when at one point someone had enough money to buy extra things in life and then they get disabled, they sell it on Ebay just to make a little extra money to take care of the old bills that SSDI can't. And the SSDI people would see that 5,10,18, mabye even $100 as extra income and take it out of your check for the next few months.

Really great scam at screwing the system! :rolleyes:

Shay-Pari'e

Delete said:
Yeah, kind of sad when at one point someone had enough money to buy extra things in life and then they get disabled, they sell it on Ebay just to make a little extra money to take care of the old bills that SSDI can't. And the SSDI people would see that 5,10,18, mabye even $100 as extra income and take it out of your check for the next few months.

Really great scam at screwing the system! :rolleyes:
You really do not get it, do you? Every penny out of my hard working families money is NOT to be used for your fraud.

Didn't you have insurance?
Did you have a pension?

Do you have a 401?

Give me a break. YOU are de-frauding the system and telling others how too.

What is your disibility? What WAS your job?

Delete

I honestly don't even really care about people like you. I'm sure regardless of what gets taken out of your check a month, you probably get more than enough to get a decent living out of than people who don't work. What do you hope to accomplish by accusing me of fraud? Less taken out of your paycheck? Cause yeah, there aren't a million people out there screwing the system taken advantage of all your hard money. Something needs to be done by SSDI themselves about the system if fraud is that much of a problem. :rolleyes:

Now people like the OP, who make threads saying they can't live off of $380 a month.. I feel more sympathy for them than you. Also, I don't see how telling someone that they shouldn't need new clothes every month is telling them how to screw the system. If she doesn't pay her father rent, that's why she gets less money. That's all I basically said. I never said I didn't or did pay rent. Its just one of the things they consider. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

Delete said:
I honestly don't even really care about people like you. I'm sure regardless of what gets taken out of your check a month, you probably get more than enough to get a decent living out of than people who don't work. What do you hope to accomplish by accusing me of fraud? Less taken out of your paycheck? Cause yeah, there aren't a million people out there screwing the system taken advantage of all your hard money. Something needs to be done by SSDI themselves about the system if fraud is that much of a problem. :rolleyes:

Now people like the OP, who make threads saying they can't live off of $380 a month.. I feel more sympathy for them than you. Also, I don't see how telling someone that they shouldn't need new clothes every month is telling them how to screw the system. If she doesn't pay her father rent, that's why she gets less money. That's all I basically said. I never said I didn't or did pay rent. Its just one of the things they consider. :rolleyes:
The ONLY thing you are correct about, is that my family makes a decent living.

Try and figure out why, while your screwing over the system.

You still did not answer my questions.

I

itsacatsworld

DA Judge is discussing legal procedures with his female court reporter in chambers if I were to make a legal opinion on the case. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">