• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darkestdays30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I am living in a mobile home with my daughter and her father (my ex-husband). The mobile home is in my ex's brother's name but it belongs to my ex. Because the title wasn't actually put into my ex's name, the social security office is wanting to reduce my benefits. They said if we had the title transferred, it would be fine, but the title was lost, there is no one in the family has the record of the title # to the trailer, and this cannot be fixed, for more reasons than just that.

So now I'm considered living in someone else's home, though this place belongs to my ex. Is there any way around this.

If my brother in law notorized a letter stating that the mobile home belongs to my ex, and not him, or am I just screwed?

They also want me to produce a bill of sale and proof of transfer of a mobile home I owned years ago, though they know no bill of sale was made. How do you produce a bill of sale from a sale from years ago, I would think, if it wasn't done, it just wasn't done, and you can't fix that now. They are claiming they didn't get this information from me before but I know for a fact I gave it to them. Well DMV will not provide me with proof of the transfer. Now I can get DMV to tell social security how much it sold for and the transfer date but I don't know if SSI will accept it.

Can anyone help?

Family of 3 trying to make it on $697 a month as is. I'm taking online college courses and plan to try to go to work next year but now I'm being forced whether I am able or not.

I'm taking a medication for an autoimmune disease, and I need an eye exam as it can make you go blind. By the time SSI gets done with me, I won't be able to afford any future eye exams, and if I go off of the medication, my days of being able to function, completely over.

commentator

No one on a site like this can tell you anything at all about your SSI case, especially whether or not SSI will accept this or that as proof. You need to be talking to them, working with them, in careful touch with them. The problems you are having are very individual case sensitive, in other words, no one can tell you what "They" will accept except "Them." I am sure other people have had this type problem though, and they will have heard about it before.

If you have your daughter and your ex-husband both living with you and you are all trying to make it on just your SSI, then you need to change your situation somehow. And receiving SSI, doesn't that cover your Medicaid, which should cover your eye medications? You need to either get out and track down what SSI specifically tells you they need, keep working at it until you actually get it done or get cut off officially. SSI is for those who do not have enough credits to get Social Security disability. There is also an income requirement, usually determined and administed by the state's Human Services or Social Services department. They have very specific things that they can and cannot accept, and they deal with this all the time, so they should be the ones you work with. Asking random questions about their programs and the paperwork they need or will accept on a website isn't going to help much.

Last edited:

darkestdays30

Well thanks, and I don't need eye medication, I need an eye exam where I'm taking plaquenil. I don't think it matters to SSI if I can make a living on $450 a mth or not. The bills are in my name, but I don't think that matters either. He was just asking unreasonable demands in my opinion.

Change the situation how? Don't know if I can even work next year with how bad my fatigue & pain is, I don't know if I'll be able to. But I do want to try.

My ex isn't going to get a job (reason for it), I don't know why he hasn't tried disability though, but I guess he knows it's too hard to get.

Onderzoek

The legal owner of a property is the person whose name is on the title to the property. That's why there are titles and legal ways to transfer ownership so these unprovable situations don't arise. There must be a way of recreating a lost title to a mobile home. May need to start with motor vehicles. We can't tell you if a notorized statement can be used instead of a title. The other option is for your ex to pay rent to the owner of the mobile home (his brother) and you pay your share of that rent. Then the brother should include the rental income on his tax return as well, for this to be all legal.

I do think SSI would accept a DMV record of a transfer if that is all you have. I really doubt that you reported the sale of the trailer at the time. You probably did report the address change, perhaps by mail or to the 800#. Unfortunately, that is not the same as reporting the living arrangement change or the sale of property. The Social Security Administration should have followed up at the time, but since they didn't, you need to provide the information now.

And, SSI is not designed to support three people. You don't give your age, so your daughter may be a minor or an adult. Does she get TANF or Food Stamps if she is a minor? Or if she is an adult, why isn't she working somewhere? Same for the ex-husband. You say there is a reason for it, but he is not your husband and the three of you are really no longer a 'family' unless you and your ex-husband are still acting like a married couple without the legal title. If so, SSI needs to know that as well because then they will call him your husband.

I think these things are all fixable, but by taking action and working with your local office.

darkestdays30

They are not going to help me get the title for something is wrong with the taxes and no one paid them.

The brother does not want involved.

My daughter is underage so no she's not working. Ex is unable to work due to physical disabilities. Can't be helped.

Of course I reported the sale of the trailer, along with moving, and I reported it to DHHR as well, but for some reason, SSI did not change this information in their system.

Yes I'm getting food stamps as well.

How does the ticket to work program work? Maybe I could work a couple of days a week and still have time to study my school work for the rest of the week. They do help you get a job, don't they?

My review was quite odd. Not one question was even asked if I am still disabled or not.

Onderzoek

The Ticket To Work can refer you to an employment network (not employees of SSA) whose job it is to help you find work that will lead to you becoming self-sufficient and no longer on disability benefits. Not everyone who uses the Ticket is successful at finding full-time permanent work, but that is the goal.

For SSI recipients, two kinds of reviews are supposed to be done periodically. Neither have been given priority by SSA until the last few years. The review you just had sounds like an income, resource and living arrangement review since that can determine whether or not you are being paid the correct amount of money. A Continuing Disability Review (CDR) is about your medical condition. Totally different questions. Durina a CDR, you are ONLY asked about your medical condition and nothing about where you are living, the money you get and if you are paying for your shelter.

Perhaps you could make arrangements with the brother (owner of the mobile home) to pay rent for living there. Then you would be the one responsible for the rent and no longer living rent free in someone else's home. It's a thought.

You said your ex-husband didn't seem to want to file for disability because it will take too long or he may be denied. All true. However, a year from now it will still be true and he won't be any further along the road. Obviously, it is his decision.

Perhaps you and your daughter could move to a low-income rental apartment and let your ex-husband fend for himself. What you are doing now is trying to support an ex-husband on an income designed for one. And what is he doing? You did divorce him for a reason. But you are also staying for a reason.

Just some random thoughts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">