• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI recipient purchasing whole life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanourra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi,
My mother was concerned that she would put us (myself and my husband) at financial risk with her burial costs when she dies. She is disabled, but receives only SSI. She has been paying a small amount monthly for a whole life insurance plan, worth $15k when she dies.

She heard from one of her neighbors recently that the government could take that money upon her death, even though I am named the beneficiary (and I am not on any government subsidy). Is there any truth to this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hi,
My mother was concerned that she would put us (myself and my husband) at financial risk with her burial costs when she dies. She is disabled, but receives only SSI. She has been paying a small amount monthly for a whole life insurance plan, worth $15k when she dies.

She heard from one of her neighbors recently that the government could take that money upon her death, even though I am named the beneficiary (and I am not on any government subsidy). Is there any truth to this?
I don't think so. However one possible problem she might have is if she has cash value in the whole life policy that is greater than her allowable asset levels.

OHRoadwarrior

Once she is deceased it should not be an issue I believe. Where it can create a problem is if a Cash Surrender Value is accrued during the life of the policy. If the policy she has obtained has a cash surrender value, she needs to sign a waiver of the rights to collect it, so as to avoid it becoming an asset.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">