• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssi replace representative payee for a child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ubi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
Hello I received a letter from SSI for my child, 1 year ago they told me he was going to get back pay from his SSI due to the office miscalculation when they entered my income and reduced my sons check for about 14 months. We set up a dedicated acct so he can get the back pay as we were told to do. Representative from the office told us different rules on how we could use that back pay money, we tried to follow their guide lines, but it was difficult as every time we spoke to someone new the requirement changed. Around 6 month they told us we need to pay back the money that was use for him due to it was inappropriately used, now in Dec we received a letter stating that they are going to look for a representative payee. Due to miss used of the money. When I received the letter I went the next day to speak to them and they told me it was not going to affect is monthly SSI. It was only going to affect the pay back they advised me, that my husband should go in so he can be the representative; I will like to know how to appeal this case. It is true fully appreciated for any advice, Thank You for your time

Last edited:

Onderzoek

If the retroactive benefits in his dedicated account were not spent on medical needs or educational needs then you did misapply the funds. You didn't follow the agreement that should have been signed before the funds were released, you didn't follow the instructions in the letter that should have been sent when the funds were released. You can solve this by paying back the misapplied funds.

What did you spend your disabled child's money on?

Since you chose to not follow the rules, you cannot continue as payee.

smiles1902

ssi representative payee

I am not sure about your state, but my worker had let me spend the money on like a washer, dryer, fridge, I was also allowed to purchase a swingset. As long as it was used towards the child, they did not give me a hard time. I even called them at times to verify I could purchase it before I did it. My worker had told me that basically as long as you used it for the child that they wouldn't fight it and they did this new law because so many were using the money not for the kids. I would think if you used this for the child that they would not be fighting it.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am not sure about your state, but my worker had let me spend the money on like a washer, dryer, fridge, I was also allowed to purchase a swingset. As long as it was used towards the child, they did not give me a hard time. I even called them at times to verify I could purchase it before I did it. My worker had told me that basically as long as you used it for the child that they wouldn't fight it and they did this new law because so many were using the money not for the kids. I would think if you used this for the child that they would not be fighting it.
You should have stopped there. :rolleyes:

SSI is a FEDERAL program, administered by the FEDERAL government. It is not a state program. There are also some states that offer programs similar to SSI; not all do.

The United States Social Security Administration

Onderzoek

I guess you think it is a good thing you have a disabled child so you can get yourself new appliances. Just think, if you did not have a disabled child, you be stuck with old appliances... So you better keep these appliances in good shape so this disabled child can take them when he/she turns 18 and leaves home since you bought the appliances for the child.

If a Social Security employee told you to ignore the regulations, then they did not do their job properly and the argument that everyone is breaking the rules doesn't mean it's OK for you to not follow the rules. The next time you get an employee that follows the rules, don't be surprised.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">