+ Reply to Thread

SSI and selling a house

What is the name of your state? California-
    I am 51 years old and have been on ssi for about 10 years. I own a house free and clear and because home prices here in Los Angeles, even for my tiny house, have gone through the roof, it is worth quite a lot. I would like to sell the house because there are a number of steps which are getting harder for me to get up and down. If I sell the house and buy another with all the proceeds my new property taxes would be more than I would be able to afford. Is there anything that can be done? If I sell and then rent a place would I have to go off SSI, spend down most of the money, and then reapply? Of course, after the spend down I would not be able to afford even an apartment rental in LA. Anyone have any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by skrome
    What is the name of your state? California-
    I am 51 years old and have been on ssi for about 10 years. I own a house free and clear and because home prices here in Los Angeles, even for my tiny house, have gone through the roof, it is worth quite a lot. I would like to sell the house because there are a number of steps which are getting harder for me to get up and down. If I sell the house and buy another with all the proceeds my new property taxes would be more than I would be able to afford. Is there anything that can be done? If I sell and then rent a place would I have to go off SSI, spend down most of the money, and then reapply? Of course, after the spend down I would not be able to afford even an apartment rental in LA. Anyone have any advice?

Your proceeds from the sale would count as resources , and you would be cut off .

You could not justify renting and keep SSI .

Have you tried any senior Agencies , to get some feedback ?

What stairs are you talking about ?

Second floor , or entry steps ?

There are Agencies that might be able to help with entry accommodations .

If they are to the second floor , maybe you could work with living on the first floor .

Have you someone that checks and helps you regularly ?

If not , again try Senior Agencies .

Thanks for your response. If I sell the house and go off ssi and spend down the proceeds is it difficult to get back on ssi after a few years?

Of course, after the spend down I would not be able to afford even an apartment rental in LA. Anyone have any advice?
    You could always call SSA's Toll free # and ask , or consult an SSI Attorney .

If you can not afford to do neither , have you though about where exactly you will live , IF you sell ?

Again , I would contact some Local Agencies that help disabled or Senior citizens , and SSA themselves , and/or a consult with an SSI Attorney .

I was thinking of possibly moving to New Mexico where I know people and the houses are much cheaper however eventually I would need to get back on SSI after my money runs out. I'll try calling the ssa office to see how easy or difficult that is.

+ Reply to Thread