+ Reply to Thread
    skrome is offline Junior Member

SSI and selling a house

What is the name of your state? California-
    I am 51 years old and have been on ssi for about 10 years. I own a house free and clear and because home prices here in Los Angeles, even for my tiny house, have gone through the roof, it is worth quite a lot. I would like to sell the house because there are a number of steps which are getting harder for me to get up and down. If I sell the house and buy another with all the proceeds my new property taxes would be more than I would be able to afford. Is there anything that can be done? If I sell and then rent a place would I have to go off SSI, spend down most of the money, and then reapply? Of course, after the spend down I would not be able to afford even an apartment rental in LA. Anyone have any advice?
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skrome
    What is the name of your state? California-
    I am 51 years old and have been on ssi for about 10 years. I own a house free and clear and because home prices here in Los Angeles, even for my tiny house, have gone through the roof, it is worth quite a lot. I would like to sell the house because there are a number of steps which are getting harder for me to get up and down. If I sell the house and buy another with all the proceeds my new property taxes would be more than I would be able to afford. Is there anything that can be done? If I sell and then rent a place would I have to go off SSI, spend down most of the money, and then reapply? Of course, after the spend down I would not be able to afford even an apartment rental in LA. Anyone have any advice?

Your proceeds from the sale would count as resources , and you would be cut off .

You could not justify renting and keep SSI .

Have you tried any senior Agencies , to get some feedback ?

What stairs are you talking about ?

Second floor , or entry steps ?

There are Agencies that might be able to help with entry accommodations .

If they are to the second floor , maybe you could work with living on the first floor .

Have you someone that checks and helps you regularly ?

If not , again try Senior Agencies .
    Thanks for your response. If I sell the house and go off ssi and spend down the proceeds is it difficult to get back on ssi after a few years?
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Of course, after the spend down I would not be able to afford even an apartment rental in LA. Anyone have any advice?
    You could always call SSA's Toll free # and ask , or consult an SSI Attorney .

If you can not afford to do neither , have you though about where exactly you will live , IF you sell ?

Again , I would contact some Local Agencies that help disabled or Senior citizens , and SSA themselves , and/or a consult with an SSI Attorney .
    I was thinking of possibly moving to New Mexico where I know people and the houses are much cheaper however eventually I would need to get back on SSI after my money runs out. I'll try calling the ssa office to see how easy or difficult that is.