+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    macerenn is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    6

    SSI/SSD Approved. Back pay questions.

    What is the name of your state? Texas

    I was approved for SSD and SSI... Here is the madness. I applied in late April, 2006. Psychiatric claim. I had no income, being recently released from prison. So I was put in for both SSI and SSDI. If I were to be approved before the 6 month wait for SSDI was over, SSI would pay me in the meantime. Well, it took only five months to get approved. So I got SSI while I waited a month for SSDI to kick in. I got a back pay for three months of SSI, the other three pending since they are not allowed to give you more than 2000 of back pay every six months on SSI; I got another 1200 sitting in their database. Ok... SSI backpay that is pending is payable immediately if the recipient is no longer eligible for SSI. I am not eligible for SSI anymore, because I am on SSDI effective now; I just got a letter from SSDI stating that I got a check coming on October 3 and that my back pay was on hold while they determine if I got SSI and if so, how much...
    Now, I know that my SSI back pay is mine already. The only way that they could take it is to decide that they were wrong to award me to begin with, or to find that I had lied about my income or assets which of course I didn't. What I am concerned with is SSDI back pay. I was found to be disabled as of September 1, 2001, and payable as of April, 2005; a year before the date that I applied. Would somebody that actually knows what they are talking about please correct me if I am wrong... I get SSDI back pay all the way back to April of 2005 (being 12 months prior to the date of application), less five months for a waiting period and less what was already paid to me by SSI. So, if it is now nearly November, and I received five months of SSI, I should receive SSDI for twelve months. You see, the SSI came after I applied (of course) and I would assume that the SSDI five-month waiting period would be after I applied as well. Or would they put the five months from the date of disability and thus only have to pay the difference between SSDI and SSI for the past five months plus seven months of SSDI back pay? Or is there a five month hole in the payment structure? Confused? So am I. How about this...

    Here is a paragraph from the letter:

    We are withholding his Social Security benefits for April 2005 through September 2006. We may have to reduce these benefits if he received Supplemental Security Incom (SSI) for this period. When we decide whether or not we will have to reduce his Social Security benefits, we will send him another letter. We will pay him any Social Security benefits he is due for this period.


    Now,
    Assume that I get 800 a month for SSDI and 600 a month for SSI (fictitious amounts)
    I recently got a check for 1800 for SSI back pay for three months (May, June, July)
    Thus, I have 1200 remaining from SSI back pay (August, September)
    I get SSDI in October (800)

    What should I expect? (Note, the probably will cut the SSI but in my calculations SSDI adjustments would make it up anyway)

    Now... If the five months are taken at the end, May2006-September2006
    SSDI 12(800) = 9600 (One year back pay before application)
    SSI 2(600) = 1200 (Not showing 3 months already paid)
    SSDI 800 (October's check delivered in November)
    Total 11,600 (Prolly not all at once due to waiting on calculations)

    But... If 5 months taken off at beginning:
    SSDI 7(800) = 5600 (One year minus five months back pay)
    SSI 2(600) = 1200 (Not showing 3 months already paid)
    SSDI 5(200) = 1000 (Difference between SSDI and SSI for five months)
    SSDI 800 (October's check delivered in November)
    Total 8,600 (3000 dollar difference there. Day-yum!)

    Or, if no five months missing at all:
    SSDI 12(800) = 9600
    SSI 2(600) = 1200
    SSDI 5(200) = 1000
    SSDI 800
    Total 12,600 (Ok. so five months cost me 1000 at best, 4000 at worst)

    Could somebody please tell me which of these is correct? Now, I know I could just wait and see, or I could go up to SSA and talk to my case worker, but I want something that other people can look up anytime. Here. I looked around for the answer to this question. Couldn't find it. Here it is.
  2. #2
    candrews922 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    20

    Red face Just wanted to say something

    I read your reply to Joebackpain. I feel for his situation. But I really get annoyed with people that really haven't tried to work much getting SSI. This is supposed to be a solution for people while they are disabled for a longer period of time. A year or more. In that time your are to be trying to get yourself where you can work again. To be on the governments money-aka the taxpayers, from the age of 23 to whatever to me really sucks. Putting that aside. I have worked since I was `14. I am now almost 47. I am not in the least bit overweight because that is something a person can control to keep their health. Genetics and time go against us and no matter what you do, once you reach certain ages the body starts falling apart. Which is what it seem to be doing in my case. So here I am with a 3 year old child, I have been married for almost 25 years, and until I had this last child worked full time. I have never received any type of social assistance or asked for any. Not that at times I am sure we would have qualified. I always felt there were people that needed it more than we did. Which I know is not the usual attitude today. So since you say you know how to work the system, do you only know how to work it when you don't want to go the psycho route. What do you know about just being tired, having physical impairments, and trying to keep up with a litle one. I am not sure I would stay on SSDI, but I was told you get medical assistance and with what insurance my hubby has and that I could probably have some surgeries that would help things and I would be willing to retrain for some other work when my child is school age. I really don't want to have surgery, but I think I will have no choice eventually. Any advice for me? Thanks
    Last edited by candrews922; 01-09-2007 at 08:31 AM.
  3. #3
    macerenn is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    6

    Question answered

    Ok. What ended up happening is I got a year back pay (the max) for $14,000. The SSI back pay was taken out, leaving a little over $10,000 but I had not yet received the final installment of $1,800 from SSI. I got a letter later on, stating that I had been overpayed by SSI and they want their -$1,200 (note the negative sign) ASAP. Actually, they had underpayed me but sent an extra $600 so I kept it. I went to the office and finally got it all straightened out. It seems that their automated system isn't so automated after all. Anyway, for those that wonder how it all works, now you know.
  4. #4
    macerenn is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    6

    By the way, to those that are offended

    I know that this SSI/SSDI is supposed to be short term. But guess what. I have two 100% fatal afflictions and a psychiatric claim. The physical disabilities were ignored, as they often are, because medical doctors are not necessarily pro-disability. They tend to believe in a "get up and do something for yourself" regimen of work... Well, I got mine because I can't function in society due to a permanent mental disability that I was diagnosed with at the age of 8 and which has progressed into what it is now. Psychiatric doctors are a LOT more prone to give you a hand getting disability than medical doctors are. This from experience, and from the experience of several friends and acquaintances that have had to fight for years to get in on a medical claim. I had a friend that came down with pneumonia - turned out he had AIDS and nearly died. Lost his wife and kids - he had been doing dope and that wasn't acceptable. He was in a wheelchair, due to severe fatigue, on and on. Two years of fighting for SSI/SSDI was fruitless, with full-blown AIDS. He went in again on a psych claim and got approved in 6 months. The point is, only the SSA say who gets it and why, and for how long. Psych claims are generally permanent. Mine is permanent. And to those that think we're mooching off of the system... Well, think that. I would love for things to be different but they're not. I will live for another ten years maybe, unless advances in medical science come about but even then, I can not afford $5,000 a month for my medication. As long as the government allows big pharma and big insurance to prey upon the weakest of our society, the government can give those same weak people a hand in SURVIVING. Not a handout. Thank you for your time.
  5. #5
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In the good old US of A
    Posts
    19,297
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by macerenn View Post
    I know that this SSI/SSDI is supposed to be short term.
    Not true . Go to SSA.com and do a little reading.

    Also look up qualifying Impairments .
  6. #6
    macerenn is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    6

    sir yessir

    I don't have to go to SSA and do any reading. We know that they review cases every so often, in my case every two years as I have been told by SSA - NOT a faceless "senior member" of an online forum. That, in my book, makes it temporary - if at any time they decide that I no longer qualify, I'm out. They try to help us get back to work - thus the "ticketto work program" AND, since there is a minimum duration of disability (one year) but not a maximum, this all implies that they would rather that it be temporary. In fact, they even SAY ON THEIR SITE THAT IT IS INTENDED TO BE TEMPORARY SO YOU GO LOOK IT UP YOURSELF $#(%*&#. Here is some text copied directly from SSA web site [url]http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dqualify.htm[/url]
    ***************************************************************************************************
    To qualify for benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability. In general, we pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability.
    Benefits usually continue until you are able to work again on a regular basis. There are also a number of special rules, called "work incentives," that provide continued benefits and health care coverage to help you make the transition back to work.
    ***************************************************************************************************

    and some more [url]http://www.socialsecurity.gov/dibplan/dwork.htm[/url]
    ***************************************************************************************************
    In most cases, you will continue to receive benefits as long as you are disabled. However, there are certain circumstances that may change your continuing eligibility for disability benefits. For example,
    your health may improve to the point where you are no longer disabled or
    like many people, you would like to go back to work rather than depend on your disability benefits.
    The law requires that we review your case from time to time to verify that you are still disabled. We tell you if it is time to review your case, and we also keep you informed about your benefit status. You also should be aware that you are responsible for letting us know if your health improves or you go back to work.
    ***************************************************************************************************

    How about people that can be cured, or in my case, what if I find a medication that makes me non-manic etc etc? And as for qualifying impairments - I did look that up. ALL of mine are on there. I, and anybody else that has even the slightset knowledge of and a minimum of familiarity with the workings of SSI/SSDI knows that that list doesn't mean jackshiznit. People whose impairments qualify are routinely denied while those whose impairment must be reinterpreted (or even overlooked for another, less severe impairmanet such as psychiatric issues) get approved on the first go around. Like me. My medical impairments are to last more than a year and both are on the list. When it all came down, it was a bipolar diagnosis that got me approved. So don't tell me or anyone else about the parperwork or what to go read. You may have the booksmarts, but the street-smarts (or the way things really work) are lacking. Why don't you try looking around, asking a few people what has actually happened to them while dealing with SSA. Or better yet, read this forum. And drop that self-righteous attitude. Then I will too. Now, lawyers will tell you, as they told me, that we need to get a lawyer and FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT. It pays the lawyer to drag it out for two years because their pay comes out of back pay. A lawyer told me I didn't stand a chance, but that lawyer was WRONG because I did what I have seen so many others do, with my own eyes, and I know it works. And it worked.
    So, here's some "case law" for you. I have been in a halfway house twice, after getting out of prison. A LOT of the guys (and gals) in the halfway house apply for SSI immediately after getting out. The basis of their claim? Psych. While in prison - a state (government) run institution - they receive psychiatric treatment. Often, these are guys that just want to stay sedated until their sentence is over so they "fool" the psych doctors who, not really caring, just go along with it and play the game. When they get out, they have a confirmable psych history spanning years and years in a government operated institution - a prison. Having been to prison, preferably multiple times, is a good indicator of insanity. In the haflway house you have to pay 25% and they don't like people sitting around. They wouldn't let people wait on a check if they weren't reasonably certain that they'd get it. THEY are the ones that told me to go to MHMR (psych treatment) to get disability, that even though I was entitled due to my medical impairments, they didn't have two years to wait with me while I sat around eating up all their food. SO I joined the rest of the SSI crowd at the halfway house. It just happens that I met a chick, moved out, dumped her psychotic self, got a subsidized apartment, met another chick, moved to Houston... All within the five months that it took me to get approved. And I did it all without a dime to my name. Waiting on SSI/SSDI . I was no longer even in the halfway house when I got my first check. Anyhow, most of these parolees get SSI within five months, some even quicker than that. I know it peeves you off to hear that, but it's true. I don't like it either, cuz my psych problem is real and to see all these fakers sneaking in and getting their dope-money from the government really bugs me. They'll mess it up for sure, then those that need it won't get it. Actually, a lot of people that need it aren't getting it already. But anyway, if you're a lawyer, you are part of the problem. Telling people that they need a lawyer to do paperwork is stupid. It costs them money and time. What are the lawyers doing that I can't do, or any other applicant. Simply gather the RIGHT information and apply. Do what you know works.
    Last edited by macerenn; 01-18-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: But wait, theres more
  7. #7
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In the good old US of A
    Posts
    19,297
    Lets: look at your reply before you edited it :

    macerenn has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled -
    SSI/SSD Approved. Back pay questions. - in the Social Security
    Disability / SSI Law forum of FreeAdvice Forums.

    This thread is located at:
    [url]http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=341618&goto=newpost[/url]

    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    ***************
    Go ahead and boot me off, senior member. I don't have to go to SSA and
    do any effing reading. We know that they review cases every so often,
    in my case every two years as I have been told by SSA - NOT a faceless
    "senior member" of an online forum. That, in my book, makes it
    potentially temporary. They try to help us get back to work - thus the "back to
    work program" AND, since there is a minimum duration of disability (one
    year) but not a maximum, this all implies that they would rather that
    it be temporary. How about people that can be cured, or in my case, what
    if I find a medication that makes me non-manic etc etc? And as for
    qualifying impairments - I did look that up. I, and anybody else that has
    even the slightset knowledge of and a minimum of familiarity with the
    workings of SSI/SSDI knows that that list doesn't mean jackshiznit.
    People whose impairments qualify are routinely denied while those whose
    impairment must be reinterpreted (or even overlooked for another, le!
    ss severe impairmanet such as psychiatric issues) get approved on the
    firt go around. Like me. My medical impariments are to last more than a
    year and both are on the list. When it all came down, it was a bipolar
    diagnosis that got me approved. So don't tell me or anyone else about
    the fuggin parperwork or what to go read, jackarse. You are the one that
    doesn't know shiznit. You may have the booksmarts, but the
    street-smarts (or the way things really work) eludes you. Why don't you try looking
    around, asking a few people what has actually happened to them while
    dealing with SSA. Or better yet, read this forum. And drop that
    self-righteous attitude. Then I will too.
    I'm glad you had you long winded vent .

    Don't sit there and tell me what I already know .

    FYI . My sis died of cancer . The Docs . kept misdiagnosing her , SSA denied her claim , She had excruciating back pain . Even after She was diagnosed , it took Her lawyer and Appeals quite a while to be approved .

    So don't tell me how SSA denies medical claims .

    Now that you've so provocatively posted your vent , if you're able to return to work , by all means do so .
    _________________

    Now read what you posted carefully from the SSA site :

    In most cases, you will continue to receive benefits as long as you are disabled.
    Last edited by BL; 01-18-2007 at 07:54 AM.
  8. #8
    candrews922 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    20

    Thumbs down Reading your posts to one another

    Well I have to say that based on what I have been reading, another government backed, service, is totally and utterly screwed up. Those of us who are the average american, get it in the butt again. You know the ones that have worked most of their lives, payed their taxes. Been honest, maybe even served in the armed forces. We are the ones who get screwed over and over because we are the ones that make this whole mess keep going. While the rich, the politicians, the ones who could work, but choose not to, because there is another avenue available to them. Laughing about a system that gives money to so many people that have been on the wrong side of the law and are using a bunch of crap to get them what they figure they have coming. Or the others that have just lived off the system in one way or another since childhood, and figure it is the only way to go. You need to GET A LIFE. Whatever you have is probaby BS. I will fight for what I feel is what has been promised to those of us who have worked and get to where we can't work for a time. Possibly till death, who knows. I really hate to hear about people who got the shaft when they really needed it. While other people sit and laugh and think it is funny that they are "NUTS"so called, and will pull anything to take advantage. Yeah we could all probably qualify for some mental illness, but normal people don't want to admit that sort of thing. That is why it is so easy, because like divorce, at one time it wasn't considered cool to be wacko. Only those with obvious situations qualified, but times have changed but the system keeps running on old values that don't exist anymore. Sorry about your sis, Blonde. Mr. M, all I can say to you is "Way to work it baby, and you stink". Well take care now. By the way, Yes I am a veteran, and one of those middle class Joes that get it up the shorts everytime. But I will keep fighting, because that is how we are, you konw that back bone of this country, that keeps all the insanity truckin.
    Last edited by candrews922; 01-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.
  9. #9
    gentlebutch is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1

    gentlebutch

    I don't know if anyone ever answered your question but you can get up to 12 months backpay retroactive (before you signed up) for ssi I don't know about ssdi. As far as the crap people are spewing I also get SSI. In case you think I'm just one that didn't work I've tried several times inc. part time and I kept getting mentally ill and got fired or had to quit. In my family it's very "un-pc" not to work. I got my ssi with in 4 months of signing up. Here in tenn. esp. the small town I live in it never happens. So consider that. And if I hadn't tried to work I could have got 400 more a mo. because of my dad's social security benefits. I wanted to try though. I'm just saying you can't always judge people because they get ssi and/or ssdi and/or soc. security early. My dad had to retire at 45 because he worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time to feed us all. He got passed walking w/o crutche that makes it hard to mine. He had 5 heart attacks and 1 stroke he was dead by 54. Alot of people didn't think he was "that" disabled until after he died. Do people misuse the system? yes but usually not people that get it within 6 months. It's usually the people that try for years and cost taxpayers money until the state gives up and gives it to them. That doesn't sound like the case here. And even that is a generalization I know of several people at least here in TN. near death that it took them over a year to get it. And yes it was debilitating to wher they could barely use their arms or legs. I mean they had to have help showering/bathing and stuff.
  10. #10
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In the good old US of A
    Posts
    19,297
    This thread is outdated .
  11. #11
    OldandTired is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Victorville, Ca.
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by BL View Post
    This thread is outdated
    Actually I thought this thread was just stupid. He already found that answers he was looking for. No need to come back here and post them.
  12. #12
    Plum2480 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by candrews922 View Post
    Well I have to say that based on what I have been reading, another government backed, service, is totally and utterly screwed up. Those of us who are the average american, get it in the butt again. You know the ones that have worked most of their lives, payed their taxes. Been honest, maybe even served in the armed forces. We are the ones who get screwed over and over because we are the ones that make this whole mess keep going. While the rich, the politicians, the ones who could work, but choose not to, because there is another avenue available to them. Laughing about a system that gives money to so many people that have been on the wrong side of the law and are using a bunch of crap to get them what they figure they have coming. Or the others that have just lived off the system in one way or another since childhood, and figure it is the only way to go. You need to GET A LIFE. Whatever you have is probaby BS. I will fight for what I feel is what has been promised to those of us who have worked and get to where we can't work for a time. Possibly till death, who knows. I really hate to hear about people who got the shaft when they really needed it. While other people sit and laugh and think it is funny that they are "NUTS"so called, and will pull anything to take advantage. Yeah we could all probably qualify for some mental illness, but normal people don't want to admit that sort of thing. That is why it is so easy, because like divorce, at one time it wasn't considered cool to be wacko. Only those with obvious situations qualified, but times have changed but the system keeps running on old values that don't exist anymore. Sorry about your sis, Blonde. Mr. M, all I can say to you is "Way to work it baby, and you stink". Well take care now. By the way, Yes I am a veteran, and one of those middle class Joes that get it up the shorts everytime. But I will keep fighting, because that is how we are, you konw that back bone of this country, that keeps all the insanity truckin.
    WOW, I came across this while looking up some information on ssi which I was approved for and found this rant offensive and naive. You obviously know nothing about mental disorders so start studying or better go get a degree in psychology like I did and then come up with a complaint. Plus saying that whatever people have is probably bs is idiotic. Maybe you should also get a few doctorates and then come up with an opinion on diagnosis's.

    Lastly you say you will keep fighting because thats how the backbone of this country is, not true at all. Compassion, Empathy, Knowledge, and Strength is what keeps this country flowing, not ignorance and hate. I hope from the time you posted this rant you have grown up a lot and I hope you have an understanding that a lot of people do suffer for real and are not just screwing with the system or the middle people like you.
  13. #13
    TheGeekess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Heart o' Dixie
    Posts
    9,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum2480 View Post
    GnuBee Rant
    Why are you necroposting to a thread that was originally created in 2006 and then unfortunately resurrected in 2008? The person that made those comments is long gone and will never know of your outrage.
  14. #14
    Plum2480 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekess View Post
    Why are you necroposting to a thread that was originally created in 2006 and then unfortunately resurrected in 2008? The person that made those comments is long gone and will never know of your outrage.
    Why do you care about my outrage towards someone full of hate? I posted it because thats how I feel and who knows, maybe that person will see it someday just like I came across this post that was 3 years old. Plus at least others will know of my feelings and maybe think before saying ignorant comments like that individual. back at you
  15. #15
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Taking notes
    Posts
    39,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum2480 View Post
    Why do you care about my outrage towards someone full of hate? I posted it because thats how I feel and who knows, maybe that person will see it someday just like I came across this post that was 3 years old. Plus at least others will know of my feelings and maybe think before saying ignorant comments like that individual. back at you
    I doubt Geekess really gives a flying hoot about your outrage.

    It's simply rude - bad netiquette - to necropost. It's nothing personal.


    (and I hate to be picky, but the word you were looking for is "diagnoses" - the plural term for "diagnosis")

    Maybe you should also get a few doctorates and then come up with an opinion on diagnosis's.

Similar Threads

  1. Restraining order approved ex taking me back to crt
    By Sherri344 in forum Domestic Violence & Abuse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
  2. Pre-approved, paid, now UHC wants $$ back
    By khchiro in forum Health Insurance and HMO Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 12:17 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 04:35 PM
  4. SSI/SSD Approved. Back pay questions.
    By macerenn in forum Social Security Disability / SSI Law
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 11:12 PM
  5. plans for private back yard not approved per HOA. Can they do that??
    By radbrad in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.