• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI and SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AutumnSoleil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I applied for SSI and SSDI at the same time. I received a disapproval letter for SSI today. Does that automatically mean I'm disapproved for SSDI as well? I haven't received a seperate letter regarding the SSDI, only for the SSI.

Thank you for your knowledge.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I applied for SSI and SSDI at the same time. I received a disapproval letter for SSI today. Does that automatically mean I'm disapproved for SSDI as well? I haven't received a seperate letter regarding the SSDI, only for the SSI.

Thank you for your knowledge.

No, that doesn't automatically mean your SSDI has been denied. SSI is means-based, and it could be that you simply don't qualify because your household income is too much.

You can qualify for SSDI and not qualify for SSI at the same time.

Hope that helps a little.

AutumnSoleil

No, that doesn't automatically mean your SSDI has been denied. SSI is means-based, and it could be that you simply don't qualify because your household income is too much.

You can qualify for SSDI and not qualify for SSI at the same time.

Hope that helps a little.
Thank you. Yes that's helpful. I was wondering if it's common practice for the Social Security office to send out these letters separately? Does anyone know.

Proserpina

Thank you. Yes that's helpful. I was wondering if it's common practice for the Social Security office to send out these letters separately? Does anyone know.

Yes, that's pretty normal.

Welcome to the rollercoaster that is SSA :)

(Seriously - you may find eventually that you'll receive two letters dated the same day telling you two completely different things....my late DH was approved and disapproved the exact same day. The next month he received notice on Monday that he'd been underpaid....yet he was overpaid by Wednesday and underpaid again by Friday! Three different letters. Same week. :rolleyes: )

Don't expect too much - they are vastly underfunded and sometimes not exactly the most...efficient body in the world.

Patience will be your friend in the long run!

AutumnSoleil

Yes, that's pretty normal.

Welcome to the rollercoaster that is SSA :)

(Seriously - you may find eventually that you'll receive two letters dated the same day telling you two completely different things....my late DH was approved and disapproved the exact same day. The next month he received notice on Monday that he'd been underpaid....yet he was overpaid by Wednesday and underpaid again by Friday! Three different letters. Same week. :rolleyes: )

Don't expect too much - they are vastly underfunded and sometimes not exactly the most...efficient body in the world.

Patience will be your friend in the long run!
Thanks for the info. Yes, it's been a roller coaster ride since the first of the year when I applied. It takes soooo long to hear anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">