• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/SSDI approval time disparity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unPC

What is the name of your state?
Maryland

I applied for both SSI (disability) and SSDI in October 2007. My SSI claim was approved in February 2008 so I know that I have met the Social Security disability determination. The problem is that I've heard nothing about my SSDI claim which, from my understanding, will also be approved because disability determinations for both programs are the same and I have more than enough work credits to be eligible for SSDI.

I've spoken to Social Security about my SSDI claim and, according to the rep, "there's a backlog."

Why wouldn't both approvals happen simultaneously? If I had been denied, I would have been denied for both programs at the same time.

This is a problem because my entire income is the SSI benefit that I receive and the SSDI benefit would be substantially more. Lack of money is actually making my disability worse because there are things that I need that I can't buy because I don't have the money.

Is there anything I can do to "push them along" other than calling them and hearing that there's a "backlog"?

unPC

Well, I finally got may SSDI approval, four months after my SSI approval.

It's definitely a case of better late than never. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">