• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/SSDI Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amigreenleaf198

Fun fun fun...

I got another check today. This time the envelope didn't have the "Deliver by xx" on the outside like normal. Could it be Back pay? The check is for $439 and says Soc Sec for Ins.

I'm about to call the 1-800 number again and try and get a answer and a answer about my SSI check again.

Edit: I just got off the phone with 1-800 person and the $439 was back pay and the $637 was the amount shown in their computers as my SSI payment for this month and there was nothing to show for a over payment. So I got the same answer twice about SSI, which is a good thing in my mind. I'm going to cash both tomorrow and still hang on to it.

Last edited:

amigreenleaf198

I still feel pretty confident in the answers I've gotten from the 1-800 people from my last post about all the money. But I'm still questioning myself about using it. I already taken care of all my monthly stuff I had to take care of this month (it's nice to get it out of your hair early!) and there's been some fun stuff I want to get...and all that extra money is tempting me. I hid it real good though. :D I guess I'm 50/50 on the whole thing...

BL

I still feel pretty confident in the answers I've gotten from the 1-800 people from my last post about all the money. But I'm still questioning myself about using it. I already taken care of all my monthly stuff I had to take care of this month (it's nice to get it out of your hair early!) and there's been some fun stuff I want to get...and all that extra money is tempting me. I hid it real good though. :D I guess I'm 50/50 on the whole thing...
If you're going to keep cash at home , buy one of those small sentry Fire and water safes .

You can also keep important papers , and receipts in it .

Also make sure you have good locks on your windows and doors .

amigreenleaf198

I just got a letter today and yet again...I'm confused by it.

"In a earlier letter we told you that you were entitled to Social Security but that we were holding back benefits for December 2006 through December 2007. We With held $6206.00 in SS benefits. We did this because our records showed you could have been getting SSI when we started paying you social security benefits. Social security can lower the amount of SSI payments you can recieve.

You will recieve $439.50 around Feb 12 (which I got already)
This is additional money you are due for December 2006 through December 2007
After that you will recieve $489 on or about the third of the month (I knew that)

When we considered your social security and refigured your SSI we found we should have paid you $5766.50 less in SSI money. We will take this from the Social Security benefits we held. The social security benefits you recieve count as income and resources and can lower the amount of SSI payments you can recieve. When a person recieves SSI money and later becomes entitled to social security for the same month, we have to refigure the SSI payment. We hold back some of the social security benefits while we do this, so the person doesn't owe us if we've paid too much SSI"

Last edited:

lya

"In a earlier letter we told you that you were entitled to Social Security but that we were holding back benefits for December 2006 through December 2007. We With held $6206.00 in SS benefits. We did this because our records showed you could have been getting SSI when we started paying you social security benefits. Social security can lower the amount of SSI payments you can recieve.

After that you will recieve $489 on or about the third of the month (I knew that)

When we considered your social security and refigured your SSI we found we should have paid you $5766.50 less in SSI money. We will take this from the Social Security benefits we held. The social security benefits you recieve count as income and resources and can lower the amount of SSI payments you can recieve. When a person recieves SSI money and later becomes entitled to social security for the same month, we have to refigure the SSI payment. We hold back some of the social security benefits while we do this, so the person doesn't owe us if we've paid too much SSI"
$6,206.00 minus $5,766.50 equals $439.50.

SSA initially calculated your SSI benefits to total $6,206.00, so they withheld that amount from your benefits.

SSA recalculated your SSI benefits and realized they had over-deducted from your benefits.

They refunded the difference to you.

Aren't you glad their error was in your favor? Wouldn't it be great if SSA could get something right the first time? Nah--it would be a miracle.

BL

Aren't you glad they with-held them ?

They would have been recouping them forever little by little from each check .

Yep , now you're all set to go , you should start receiving month to month checks .

amigreenleaf198

Aren't you glad they with-held them ?

They would have been recouping them forever little by little from each check .

Yep , now you're all set to go , you should start receiving month to month checks .
So they did take it already, phew. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that then. :)

Will I still get SSI checks? The letter wasn't clear about that. I need the medicaid... Somebody told me on the 1-800 line that I'm supposed to recieve enough SSI to make it around the $637 mark. I was going to use extra money (in march) for self study books, I want to become a licensed pharmacy technician, but it might change if I don't... :D

amigreenleaf198

$6,206.00 minus $5,766.50 equals $439.50.

SSA initially calculated your SSI benefits to total $6,206.00, so they withheld that amount from your benefits.

SSA recalculated your SSI benefits and realized they had over-deducted from your benefits.

They refunded the difference to you.

Aren't you glad their error was in your favor? Wouldn't it be great if SSA could get something right the first time? Nah--it would be a miracle.
Haha, it looks like they did get it right for once. I'm going to splurge it, need to have fun once and awhile! :D:D

I bought some video games after my doctor appointment -- I have bronchitis :( Splurge I did, with enough left over to shove for savings. I'll be having fun for awhile, no wonder they love me over there at the game store, since I don't go in there much anymore (cause I can't).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">