• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/Treasury Department computer matching question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TD0427

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I received a letter from SSA requesting an appointment with me since I am the payee for my adult son who has receives disability for his condition related to a chromosome abnormality. Some text follows:

We received information from computer matching with the Department of Treasury. since this information may affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount we would like to discuss it with you...

Does anyone know what this means, or why they want to talk to us? They want bank statements, proof of assets and some other info dating back to November of 2009. I doubt I have them for that far back. The only significant thing that happened was that he received a back payment from them late that summer (about $1800).

What does this mean and what are they after? Thanks in advance!

TDWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I received a letter from SSA requesting an appointment with me since I am the payee for my adult son who has receives disability for his condition related to a chromosome abnormality. Some text follows:

We received information from computer matching with the Department of Treasury. since this information may affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount we would like to discuss it with you...

Does anyone know what this means, or why they want to talk to us? They want bank statements, proof of assets and some other info dating back to November of 2009. I doubt I have them for that far back. The only significant thing that happened was that he received a back payment from them late that summer (about $1800).

What does this mean and what are they after? Thanks in advance!

TDWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I means something popped up on the system .

If you don't save his bank statements , you could request copies from the bank , or perhaps print them from his account .

You do have a separate bank account for your son ,don't you ?

TD0427

Thanks again. Could this be something that can be resolved over the phone and by sending in required documents? Or, is that on a case by case basis? There have been times that I've been able to resolve things with them without an appointment. If not I will find out soon enough. Thanks.

BL

Thanks again. Could this be something that can be resolved over the phone and by sending in required documents? Or, is that on a case by case basis? There have been times that I've been able to resolve things with them without an appointment. If not I will find out soon enough. Thanks.
In cases like this it is best to go in personally with the required documents they request.

They may want to review the case and have you make statements that would be typed up for you to read and sign .

Onderzoek

Generally, a computer matching letter is sent when there has been a 1099 issued on some kind of money received and the dollar amount exceeds a certain tolerance set by SSI because the 1099 indicates some kind of receipt of income or the presence of a signficant asset. A 1099 can be for interest, gambling winnings, pension payments, and many other financial transactions. This may indicate nothing, or it can indicate a signficant unreported income or resource issue for SSI recipients.

As payee of an SSI recipient, you should be keeping financial records for at least two years because at any time, SSI can do a redetermination and request them to prove that he has been under the resource limit and has no other sources of income. And his eligibility and payment amount can be reopened back those two years. Since this may be an IRS computer matching alert, if the office does it properly, they need to get your son's written permission to tell you what the computer matching alert says. Yes, even though you are the payee and even though he is disabled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">