• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI vs SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mskad

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but here goes....

For SSDI, you have to have a work history and worked recently enough in order to qualify for benefits...is that correct? So if a person has not worked in over a year, would they still qualify for SSDI with lupus and fibromyalgia (which prevented them from working)? They have worked in the past but was never able to hold a job for more than 6 months due to their disability.

If they receive child support, do they consider that as income even if it is not court ordered?

If they qualify for SSDI or SSI, would they qualify for a housing allowance to defray the cost of their monthly rent?

The child support is their only source of income and they also receive a monthly allottment for food. Would they lose that benefit if they qualify for SSDI or SSI?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but here goes....

For SSDI, you have to have a work history and worked recently enough in order to qualify for benefits...is that correct? So if a person has not worked in over a year, would they still qualify for SSDI with lupus and fibromyalgia (which prevented them from working)? They have worked in the past but was never able to hold a job for more than 6 months due to their disability.

They base how MUCH you will get based on recent work history but whether you qualify for SSDI is based on lifetime credits.

If they receive child support, do they consider that as income even if it is not court ordered?

They ask for household income but I guess if there's no way to prove it then no.. but then again it can be looked at as fraud.

If they qualify for SSDI or SSI, would they qualify for a housing allowance to defray the cost of their monthly rent?

That would likely depend on the individual housing community.

The child support is their only source of income and they also receive a monthly allottment for food. Would they lose that benefit if they qualify for SSDI or SSI?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?
It depends on the standards that are set

BL

It depends on the standards that are set
The disabled person should Apply , then if receiving notify the proper authorities for food assistance ( be honest about CS .

While CS payments wouldn't effect SSDI , it would Affect other assistances .

Even if you do not qualify for SSDI , you may for SSI , food stamps , medical , etc .,and again be honest to the people you deal with .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">