• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI and Welfare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsearchof

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I just had a conversation with a neighbor concerning the differences in SSI and SSDI. He took offense to my describing SSI as a WELFARE benefit. I am writing here in hopes that posters might comment as to describing SSI as a WELFARE benefit.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I just had a conversation with a neighbor concerning the differences in SSI and SSDI. He took offense to my describing SSI as a WELFARE benefit. I am writing here in hopes that posters might comment as to describing SSI as a WELFARE benefit.
ssa.gov :cool:

garrula lingua

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is commonly known as federal welfare.
A recipient does not have to have prior earnings to qualify, and can only have $2000. in assets, etc. It is a needs-based system (welfare), and if there is income from elsewhere, one may not qualify for all (usually about 694 a month).

SSDI (Supplemental Security Disability Income, I believe), is based upon a worker's history. It is not welfare, it is earned by the worker. There is a requirement of a certain number of current quarters, so the longer one is disabled without claiming SSDI, the riskier qualifying may be.

Both are based on disability.
SSI, at one time, was given to those who were disabled due to drug and alcohol addiction. The rules have been revised, to allow those recipients, as long as the addiction is not the main claim of disability.

I say you were right.
Your neighbor, though, may be thinking of SSDI, not SSI. People are often confused regarding the two types of Social Security Disability.

Nsearchof

@garrula lingua - Thank you for your response! You gave me the language I needed.

Closing the thread ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">